Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot Lands Support For AMD's Olive Hill+ Board

Phoronix: Coreboot Lands Support For AMD's Olive Hill+ Board

Just days after support for AMD's Steppe Eagle SoC landed in Coreboot, the first motherboard for this embedded G-Series SoC is now supported by mainline Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When do we get Coreboot AMD Laptops?

I wish there were laptops on the market that had AMD APUs and maybe dGPUs, and that would run Coreboot...

Hell, I wish there were more laptops with AMD APUs in general. There is a bunch of cheap small ones, but when it comes to A8-A10 higher-end APUs, selection becomes very slim. Especially here in Europe.

Comment

100% seconded.
      It is a rare occasion to obtain AMD powered note/netbooks. Furthermore, try to get them with a non-glare screen (reduces choice to few), then with battery runtime and non cheapo parts or low res displays. Not a chance. If you then dare to dream of a device that does not include a MS Windows license... phew.
      There were a few devices which might have been all that (besides a high res / IPS display) but they all had some obstacle that was a showstopper for coreboot build in. Something non-exchangeable.

The only thing you can obtain already w. coreboot are some industrial mainboards which are very expensive and often of little use for normal people (if you want to build a HTPC, SOHO fileserver and so on). It just sucks sometimes.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        100% seconded.
        It is a rare occasion to obtain AMD powered note/netbooks. Furthermore, try to get them with a non-glare screen (reduces choice to few), then with battery runtime and non cheapo parts or low res displays. Not a chance. If you then dare to dream of a device that does not include a MS Windows license... phew.
        There were a few devices which might have been all that (besides a high res / IPS display) but they all had some obstacle that was a showstopper for coreboot build in. Something non-exchangeable.

The only thing you can obtain already w. coreboot are some industrial mainboards which are very expensive and often of little use for normal people (if you want to build a HTPC, SOHO fileserver and so on). It just sucks sometimes.
        The Lenovo Thinkpad X1xxe series was semi-decent. I had the earliest (X100e), which offered a Neo single or dual core (64-bit with virtualization in a $400 laptop in 2010), an HD3200M for graphics, 11.6" non-glare screen @1366x768, unofficially up to 8 GB RAM, 6 cell battery that could* last 5 hours (*the usual disclaimer applies: under lighter use with settings optimized...; I got ~3 hours on Linux) with a 9-cell available.
        The big downfall technically speaking was that it was very undercooled; that dual-core should never have gone in there.
        Just after I got it, they came out with the X120e: HD4xxx graphics, HDMI out, and a slightly newer CPU that ran a lot cooler and a lot longer. To be precise, it was among the the first AMD Fusion laptops.
        (If I had had the money, I would have grabbed the board for one of those and swapped it in. It got OpenCL work, UVD, and all the other neat stuff...)
        Then the X121e used an E-series (now, the X121e usually comes with an i3).
        The X121e seems to be rather degenerate for a Thinkpad, though.
        Now they have an X140e ([email protected] or [email protected] Ghz and a Radeon HD83xx GPU), which is not really different apart from the CPU/GPU.

There was someone talking about porting Coreboot to the X100/X120, but it never happened. The X2xx series got that.

Comment

Working...
        X