Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's Top Contributors This Summer

Phoronix: Mesa's Top Contributors This Summer

Here's some numbers on how Mesa 3D development has been pacing the past few months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know about implementation, but I can imagine writing all the piglit tests for tessellation is going to be a nightmare.

Comment

Do you think OpenGL 4.0~4.2 will be reached this calendar year for core Mesa?
      According to this: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt

There are 3 extensions left for 4.0, 2 for 4.1 and 1 for 4.2. As the one left for 4.2 is already in progress, it looks like 4.2 might come before 4.0 and 4.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        I don't know about implementation, but I can imagine writing all the piglit tests for tessellation is going to be a nightmare.
        Yeah - it's what makes new feature development take so long. Not only do we have to implement all the driver support, but we have to develop a comprehensive test suite as well. It's not necessarily that difficult of work, but it does require some creativity and a bunch of effort.

By the way, I've put together some (totally hacky) scripts for producing statistics like the ones given in this article:

It also handles review statistics, not just commits, and also tries to group developers by company (rather than saying gmail.com does all the work). I need to update that part of it now that Eric's left Intel and Francisco's joined, among other changes, but it's still pretty decent.
        Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
        Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
          Yeah - it's what makes new feature development take so long. Not only do we have to implement all the driver support, but we have to develop a comprehensive test suite as well. It's not necessarily that difficult of work, but it does require some creativity and a bunch of effort.
          Speaking of which, has Khronos gotten into touch with the Mesa/Piglit community about potentially using the test framework as a sort of official conformance test? I often hear people lament that OpenGL drivers in the wild are so badly behaved and that there's barely any conformance suits for it. It's also cool to sometimes see "fixes piglit test XYZ" in the official AMD driver changelogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid State Brain View Post

There are 3 extensions left for 4.0, 2 for 4.1 and 1 for 4.2. As the one left for 4.2 is already in progress, it looks like 4.2 might come before 4.0 and 4.1.
            Just curious, what's the difference between "started" and "in progress".

Comment

Just curious, in Mesa what is the difference between "started" and "in progress".

Comment

There's no difference between those 2.

PS:
                Much nicer to look at: http://creak.foolstep.com/mesamatrix

Comment

Originally posted by Solid State Brain View Post

I assume you are joking, but for sanity sake, let me just point out that 4.2 depends on 4.1 and 4.0

So if the 4.2 specific stuff gets done before the 4.1 and 4.0 specific stuff, that just means that they will go directly to OpenGL 4.2 when the last 4.0 and 4.1 extensions are implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                    I assume you are joking, but for sanity sake, let me just point out that 4.2 depends on 4.1 and 4.0

So if the 4.2 specific stuff gets done before the 4.1 and 4.0 specific stuff, that just means that they will go directly to OpenGL 4.2 when the last 4.0 and 4.1 extensions are implemented.
                    Of course, I'm aware that every new OpenGL version builds up on previously made ones and that even once 4.2-specific extensions will be implemented the driver can't really be called 4.2 compliant until all previous extensions get implemented too.

Comment

Working...
                    X