Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Defunct Bitcoin SourceForge Project Was Hacked

Phoronix: The Defunct Bitcoin SourceForge Project Was Hacked

The original SourceForge project site for Bitcoin has been compromised along with an original email address of Satoshi Nakamoto, the mysterious founder(s) of the project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I would like to know is why are people downloading outdated builds from the defunct page on SourceForge.

Comment

Anthony Geary? I wonder if it's a pseudonym referring to this Anthony Geary:

But then I also remember how easy it is to mock something up and paste in anything you want, and call down a shitstorm on the person you named, for your own reasons. I hope people who would contribute to the shitstorm will think of that, too.

Comment

Am I stupid or is it not possible to "recover data" from an image (e.g. text on said image) once that area has been over-written with other data (e.g. a large black spot)? Unless it was a psd and the black was on a separate layer, which is OBVIOUSLY not the case here.

I zoomed in, and I don't see any holes large enough in the black spots to make out letters or anything. Thus, I'm calling the second image bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Am I stupid or is it not possible to "recover data" from an image (e.g. text on said image) once that area has been over-written with other data (e.g. a large black spot)? Unless it was a psd and the black was on a separate layer, which is OBVIOUSLY not the case here.

I zoomed in, and I don't see any holes large enough in the black spots to make out letters or anything. Thus, I'm calling the second image bullshit.
          You're not stupid, but that's not a true black spot. The actual information was not destroyed. It was poorly obfuscated with an airbrush or paintbrush tool instead of being smudged or properly block-filled like anyone who really wants to hide something. Stupid is someone who thinks this was well hidden, or stupid is what someone expects everyone to be when they create the original screenshot and then obfuscate it poorly, deliberately so maybe we "recover the truth" and take the bait. I really don't know, but I loaded up the first image in GIMP and did this in mere seconds, so the second image is at least as legitimate as the first:

Comment

How SourceForge has dealt with the attack

We suspended s_nakamoto's account 2 hours and 17 minutes after the attacker gained access to that account.

After generating a list of changes made, confirming method of attack, and identifying no serious changes to project content, the project was restored to its pre-attack state, and the compromised user account was removed from the project.

Risk to the community is believed to be low, as file content wasn't modified.

Regards,

Roberto Galoppini, SourceForge.net

Source: http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/8512/

Comment

Originally posted by galoppini View Post
              We suspended s_nakamoto's account 2 hours and 17 minutes
              That's cruel and unusual punishment!

Comment

crack, not hack
                cracked, not hacked

Let's keep the names correct, especially in this community.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                  crack, not hack
                  cracked, not hacked

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                    crack, not hack
                    cracked, not hacked

Thank you!
                    I was thinking the same thing when I read the title!

Comment

Working...
                    X