Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Void Linux Drops Systemd & Switches To LibreSSL

Phoronix: Void Linux Drops Systemd & Switches To LibreSSL

Back in June of 2013 we covered Void Linux as a new rolling-release Linux distribution built from scratch but since then we haven't come across much Void Linux news until a few days ago when a Phoronix reader wrote in about the latest progress with this interesting Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seriously, what's the deal with covering a distro nobody cares about except its few (or only?) dev(s) created. Is it cheap flamebait for another systemd discussion? Everything in it including its name suggest it's a little amateurish project that won't ever matter.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Seriously, what's the deal with covering a distro nobody cares about except its few (or only?) dev(s) created. Is it cheap flamebait for another systemd discussion? Everything in it including its name suggest it's a little amateurish project that won't ever matter.
      Arguably the site owner might be mentioning Void for the sake of advertising revenue driven by the systemd flamewars. But Void itself is actually pretty cool. The author wrote his own package management system, xbps.
      Main page: http://www.voidlinux.eu/ Package management system page: http://www.voidlinux.eu/xbps/

xbps is as straightforward to use from the command line as apt-get or yum and runs very quickly.

I ran Void as the primary operating system on my home desktop for a few months. The only problem I ran into, which he fixed eventually, was that user switching from GNOME was broken. In order to allow my kids to login to their own account without requiring me to log off completely first, I had to use some other desktop. I think I settled on XFCE, I don't remember.

So please limit your insults to the article, not the distribution.

Comment

Nice, we need distros that don?t use systemd!

Comment

A binary distribution with no nonsense and rolling releases? Sounds neat, might put it on the ol' netbook.

Comment

I don't know if Void is constructed for uncomplicated people, but I prefer if repository based on source code... this will be more interesting, I guess. The "up" points is LibreSSL and not adopting o systemd... rocks!
            But, anyway, if we install Gentoo or CRUX and replace OpenSSL, what is the difference? BSD guy's have reason, there's much "linuxism", and all day emerge a new distro.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              Seriously, what's the deal with covering a distro nobody cares about
              Maybe because some people will find it interesting?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                Maybe because some people will find it interesting?
                Speak to my apppointed representative, mark45, about any and all commentry regarding my interests about linux on a linux web-site. Henceforth, I shall cease all commentry except via proxy, the previously stated appointed representative.
                Hi

Comment

Originally posted by arrow View Post
                  I don't know if Void is constructed for uncomplicated people, but I prefer if repository based on source code... this will be more interesting, I guess. The "up" points is LibreSSL and not adopting o systemd... rocks!
                  But, anyway, if we install Gentoo or CRUX and replace OpenSSL, what is the difference? BSD guy's have reason, there's much "linuxism", and all day emerge a new distro.
                  I had a little bit of a headache installing it, and I'm a moderately experienced Linux user. So I wouldn't recommend it for newbies as much as, for example, Xubuntu.

You can run commands with the xbps package system to download, compile, and install individual packages, but if I remember right you'd have to script something yourself if you wanted to do that for every package you had. So in that respect Gentoo or CRUX gives you a much better build-all-from-source experience.

On the other hand the xbps mechanism for building packages from source makes it easy to cross-compile, so if you have a raspberry pi, an old x86-only netbook, or a Cubieboard or something you can compile all of the software for it on your Void x86_64 install.

Funnily enough, I got interested in the distribution last year because it was one of the only non-RPM-based distributions at the time using systemd, and that's how I learned systemctl, journalctl, etc... But the maintainer believes systemd 2.0...9, I think, is where it reaches too far beyond its original purpose. But I won't stop supporting it because of the switch to runit. He does good work.

Comment

This is something I am interested in, clean and clear.

Comment

Working...
                    X