RadeonSI Gallium3D-Nine Can Beat AMD Catalyst With Some Wine Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Gallium3D-Nine Can Beat AMD Catalyst With Some Wine Tests

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gallium3D-Nine Can Beat AMD Catalyst With Some Wine Tests

The out-of-tree Direct3D 9.0 state tracker for Mesa's Gallium3D continues to show much potential for allowing Wine-based games to better perform on Linux with the open-source Gallium3D drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: RadeonSI Gallium3D-Nine Can Beat AMD Catalyst With Some Wine Tests

The out-of-tree Direct3D 9.0 state tracker for Mesa's Gallium3D continues to show much potential for allowing Wine-based games to better perform on Linux with the open-source Gallium3D drivers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc4ODE

You forgot to explain to people:
    1) D3Dstream will work good on a fast 4core-6instruction+ CPU and when you cut 10%_CPU_hz you may lost 20%_FPS. All the rest are doomed.
    2) RadeonSI does only have 60% the speed of Catalyst. The real deference is on HD6870_Vliw5 with R600, that has 100% efficiency.
    3) No one tested this on IntelHD with ILO_gl2.1, that has 60% efficiency.
    4) You can use Gallium_Nine with closed divers with simple assembly translation, like Gallium_IR to AMD_IL, with almost native speed.

Comment

The fps stndev for gallium9 was pretty tight relative to catalyst (which seems to be rather typical judging from previous benchmarks). I REALLY wonder if the radeon codebase is simply "better" than catalyst.
      Can anyone speak to how stable amd's workstation cards are under Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
        4) You can use Gallium_Nine with closed divers with simple assembly translation, like Gallium_IR to AMD_IL, with almost native speed.
        How to do that?

Comment

I can run a few games with Gallium Nine but not much more. Even worse I can't get anything working as regular with UseNative set to 0. Mass Effect for example won't work unless I do enable Gallium Nine and when it does it crawls in speed. I'm using Sarnex's Wine build.

Comment

The name is a bit too concise, should not just be a number.
            Call it DirectNine or whatever, not just a number.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              I can run a few games with Gallium Nine but not much more. Even worse I can't get anything working as regular with UseNative set to 0. Mass Effect for example won't work unless I do enable Gallium Nine and when it does it crawls in speed. I'm using Sarnex's Wine build.
              At this moment Gallium nine shouldn't affect anything (except on Nouveau, because there are driver specific patches - also lately improved -). So when you disable acceleration, you should be on same codebase, as with CLASSIC Mesa-3D-git and Wine without patch.

Comment

i'm just wondering when d3dstream for galium nine will pop up. should be applicable just as it is to native. even some games like RE6 use same technique by default

Comment

does this fix the issue with games that constantly recompile shaders and make them unplayable for anyone not using proprietary nvidia(e.g, PoE)?

Comment

AFAIK yes, but you should try it yourself.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X