Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.3.2 & Qt Creator 3.2.1 Released

Phoronix: Qt 5.3.2 & Qt Creator 3.2.1 Released

Digia has put out various Qt project updates today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Their *new* download page is a revampted way to confuse you into buying Qt.

Comment

Sort of.

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Their *new* download page is a revampted way to confuse you into buying Qt.
      I think you are right. When I clicked on "Downloads" on qt-project.org, I immediately saw a button that said "Get Qt here". When I clicked on that I landed on a page where the community edition is grayed out as if it would be impossible to select it (but of course, you can select it): http://imgur.com/keaax5T However, if I skip the "Get Qt here" button and just scroll down, the website actually does recommend me to download the free version because I am on a Unix.

Comment

Could somebody explain to me why on the "Community Edition" download, "Full rights to modify source codes" is not checked? I mean... isn't that kinda what GPL forces onto the content creator? The ability to let other people do that??

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Could somebody explain to me why on the "Community Edition" download, "Full rights to modify source codes" is not checked? I mean... isn't that kinda what GPL forces onto the content creator? The ability to let other people do that??
          I guess that "feature" refers to being able to modify the Qt source and keep that modification to yourself even when you distribute the modified version.

The three available Free Software licenses of course guarantee the modifyability, but also guarantee that the recipient of the modified version has access to the modifications as well.

I am sure there will quite some feedback from industry and community partners on badly phrased statements such as this one.

Cheers,
          _

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            There do seem to be a lot of these "mistakes" or "oversights" that steer one toward the paid version of Qt. When I've ended up on a digia.com page (from a Google search) and clicked around, I've noticed that they really want to sell me a paid license and don't do much to inform me of other options.

The new download page http://www.qt.io/download/ is a disaster. In addition to the "errors" mentioned previously, it is difficult to compare the various editions of Qt. It appears that the intension was to create a table, features as rows and Qt license types as columns, but instead I see "Community" and a two-column table with all the rows of features for edition, followed by "Indie Mobile" and another two-column table, etc. It leaves me wondering whether the page was poorly thought out or if it was intentionally made to be confusing.

Comment

Working...
            X