Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Code Starts Lining Up For X.Org Server 1.17

Phoronix: New Code Starts Lining Up For X.Org Server 1.17

X.Org Server 1.17 is planned for release at the start of 2015 and thus puts the closing of the merge window in the middle of October. While some xorg-server 1.17 code has already landed, more is on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So it jumps from 1.3 to 3.3 that is one hell of a bump to the requirement. I guess most GPU's that don't support 3.3 has a 2D engine and so would be better of with a specific driver, but what then with Wayland/Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      So it jumps from 1.3 to 3.3 that is one hell of a bump to the requirement. I guess most GPU's that don't support 3.3 has a 2D engine and so would be better of with a specific driver, but what then with Wayland/Mir.
      wayland don't use glamor, only Xwayland and it will behave exactly as any X server, so if you have any OSS driver except VMWARE you can use glamor on X and Xwayland transparently as long your mesa version is recent enough(same should apply to blobs but not 100% sure)

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
        I agree. Is using GLES at least still an option? I would think there are some mobile GPUs that would like to use Glamor but which don't support things like geometry shaders. r300g can't support 3.3 either.

Edit: Oh, I just looked at the code and it all looks completely optional to me. So there's no requirement bump here, it just tries to use the 3.3 core context if available and otherwise falls back to the old code.
        Last edited by smitty3268; 16 September 2014, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X