Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Touch/Phone Reaches Its First RTM Image

Phoronix: Ubuntu Touch/Phone Reaches Its First RTM Image

The first image of Ubuntu Touch has been declared as ready for "release to manufacturing" after much work by Canonical...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As much as I despise Canonical over the Mir shennanigans, I've got a gen 1 Nexus 7 sitting around doing nothing, and I would've tried this out had that been supported. Hope someone sorts out support soon.

Comment

I've got the same problem. It seems strange not to support the gen1 nexus 7, considering how ridiculously popular it was.

Comment

Originally posted by jagoly View Post
        I've got the same problem. It seems strange not to support the gen1 nexus 7, considering how ridiculously popular it was.
        Along with Nvidia Tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          As much as I despise Canonical over the Mir shennanigans, I've got a gen 1 Nexus 7 sitting around doing nothing, and I would've tried this out had that been supported. Hope someone sorts out support soon.
          I have an unused gen 1 Nexus 7 as well. You could try Sailfish OS, which uses Wayland and supports it if I'm not mistaken. What I really want though is to run GNOME 3 on it, since it seems like most of the hard work is already done (GTK gestures, libhybris, GNOME on wayland, GNOME hidpi, etc). IMHO in the direction it's headed with portable, sandboxed apps it could make an awesome Android replacement.

Comment

Can you read pdf's yet?

Comment

When Ubuntu touch announced and I've seen some sketches about how it will look like I was excited. During development interface became more simple on the graphics side and in some cases I find it ugly (like the "Alarm Clock" interface) but in the other hand Android was Ugly too in its first versions so the most important thing now is to get some attention by popular manufacturers. In 2-3 years there will be improvements for sure.

The weakest points I've seen from videos is the big lag and instability. Something I believe they will improve soon. Another problem is the nearly empty marketplace. Of course that was the case for Android too in the beginning.

Comment

What device is krillin associated with? The wiki has mako (Nexus 4), hammerhead (Nexus 5), flo (WiFi only Nexus 7 2013), manta (Nexus 10) and some other ones. I'd like to get some used phone to try Ubuntu Touch out.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jagoly View Post
                  That sounds like a good reason for you to devote YOUR time and effort to port. Get coding man!

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    That sounds like a good reason for you to devote YOUR time and effort to port. Get coding man!
                    What I meant was that it would have perhaps been a better idea to have the the 2012 n7 as a reference device, rather than the 2013 model. There would have been a lot more people testing it then.

Comment

Working...
                    X