Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland & Weston 1.6 Released

Phoronix: Wayland & Weston 1.6 Released

The latest quarterly update to Wayland and its Weston compositor are now available! Wayland/Weston 1.6.0 is another important milestone now crossed in delivering a next-generation Linux display experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news! Every incremental release brings us more goodness!

So, isn't it time for you to setup your own Gnome 3.14 with Wayland 1.6, and test it out?

Comment

Wayland and the DEs are reaching a usable point, but what about the apps?
      Should I want to run a pure wayland environment, what apps are ready to do so in the fields of internet browsing, multimedia, office suites, pdf, etc?
      Many apps just use the graphic libraries but a whole bunch make use of X.

Could we compile a list of the apps we can use as of now with gtk and qt wayland-compatible without using xwayland?
      Last edited by Viper_Scull; 19 September 2014, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post
        Should I want to run a pure wayland environment, what apps are ready to do so in the fields of internet browsing, multimedia, office suites, pdf, etc?

Could we compile a list of the apps we can use as of now with gtk and qt wayland-compatible without using xwayland?
        Agree. I am mostly using Internet browser, music and video player, transmission and sometimes GPartEd.
        This are just basic apps and only transmission works perfectly(thanks to GTK3 backend), and that's it.
        Chromium, firefox are obviously not working, Midori should work but i have problem with keyboard input under Arch Linux.
        Then multimedia players, VLC is in dark, audacious is moving to qt, Gnome music should work but i didn't tried this player, rhythmbox and all rest doesn't work.
        What i don't like is attitude. people in last months are interested with Wayland earlier there was something like this- "Xorg works, why should i care about Wayland" and i am asking you-what in Xorg works? We've got only tearing and other glitches.
        But there are dark sides, everything is going slow because there is not so much devs.

Comment

you can test Wayland with Fedora 21 now with Xwayland and Gnome 3.14

Comment

Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post

The problem is the big/popular apps. Libreoffice firefox thunderbird etc. for all the rest (multimedia, pdf, terminals) there are apps that work.

BTW is there any workin login manager???

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              The problem is the big/popular apps. Libreoffice firefox thunderbird etc. for all the rest (multimedia, pdf, terminals) there are apps that work.

BTW is there any workin login manager???
              GDM works fine under Fedora 21 loading a wayland session.. so either it loads X and then passes it off to Wayland for that session, or they're doing something more low-level.
              KDM is being tossed out the window eventually.
              SDDM (KDM's replacement on Fedora and maybe on others) is Qt5-based, so depending on how its coded it could be wayland-native.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                GDM works fine under Fedora 21 loading a wayland session.. so either it loads X and then passes it off to Wayland for that session, or they're doing something more low-level.
                SDDM (KDM's replacement on Fedora and maybe on others) is Qt5-based, so depending on how its coded it could be wayland-native.
                GDM switches to tty2 when using Wayland session.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  SDDM is at its 0.9 version, but it's not ready yet for loading a wayland session.
                  However, there is a "Wayland port" PR marked as 1.0 milestones.

Comment

For video players, MPV works under Wayland. I assume Gnome Video does/will soon. VLC probably not for a year or two

Comment

Working...
                    X