Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next AMD Catalyst Linux Driver Is Much More Exciting

Phoronix: The Next AMD Catalyst Linux Driver Is Much More Exciting

Yesterday I wrote about an upcoming Catalyst Linux driver offering VCE and HSA support while today are more details on this forthcoming update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any know how install manually this driver?

Comment

Support for Xorg 1.16?

Comment

I'm still not entirely sure if I want to switch back to catalyst, but its nice to see more frequent updates. Really the only reason I want to is because of crossfire support, but last time I checked almost nothing could actually use crossfire, so it was sort of a waste of time. Anybody know of a way to force an application to use crossfire? Because if so, I may consider switching back to catalyst.

Also, I can't seem to get a straight answer - does catalyst now have wayland support?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I'm still not entirely sure if I want to switch back to catalyst, but its nice to see more frequent updates. Really the only reason I want to is because of crossfire support, but last time I checked almost nothing could actually use crossfire, so it was sort of a waste of time. Anybody know of a way to force an application to use crossfire? Because if so, I may consider switching back to catalyst.

Also, I can't seem to get a straight answer - does catalyst now have wayland support?
          I don't think so - they would need EGL support for that, which I don't think has happened yet.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Anybody know of a way to force an application to use crossfire?
            You can try to rename application to "AFR-FriendlyOGL". This trick worked in the past (I used this trick to activate CF in some linux games and my own OGL apps), but at now I'm not sure if it's still works.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
              Any know how install manually this driver?
              Basicly the content is what should be copied onto your root / partition (might need few adjustments though), and then you can build the kernel module with /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/make.sh and ../make_install.sh and copy the fglrx.ko to your kernel modules folder.

Another way is to just get a recent ati-installer.sh, extract it with ati-installer-14.20.sh --extract, and overwrite the content/libraries (with maybe some adjustments) and then build your packages (e.g. in the case of Ubuntu) with "ati-installer.sh 14.50 --buildpkg Ubuntu/trusty".

If that sounds funky to you, just wait for a public release... it is a testing driver and you should only install it if you know what to do anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
                You can try to rename application to "AFR-FriendlyOGL". This trick worked in the past (I used this trick to activate CF in some linux games and my own OGL apps), but at now I'm not sure if it's still works.
                Interesting.... I may have to try that. Thanks for the tip. I may try cloning my setup and try giving catalyst another shot and see how this works out for me. I'm enjoying using the open source drivers and for most of my games they perform fine, but its annoying that my 2nd GPU is never in use. I stopped using catalyst because of how it kept holding back my system, kwin got really choppy, no wayland support, and the lack of games that could actually use crossfire. But maybe some of these problems are irrelevant now.

If I do go back to catalyst, I will inevitably switch back to the open source drivers, but I won't until KDE gets official wayland support and/or until the drivers get crossfire support.

Comment

AMD driver developments stays interesting to read about, always new plans, etc. Hope this helps in making it more stable.

Noticed on the SteamOS forums that Valve created an sticky about the AMD GPU problems.

Steam machine resellers won't have any problems deciding between AMD and Nvidia, which is a shame AMD hardware is ofter much cheaper.

Comment

- There's also now a amd-console-helper tool for loading the fglrx kernel module dynamically without needing to reboot the system.
                    - There's also now an amd-console-helper tool for loading the fglrx kernel module dynamically without needing to reboot the system.

Comment

Working...
                    X