Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Is Running Great On Linux

Phoronix: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Is Running Great On Linux

The GeForce GTX 980 is NVIDIA's most advanced graphics card to date and is running brilliantly on Linux -- assuming you're okay with binary blobs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good to know, I might pick up the 960 when it comes out, a lot of sites claiming it should be as fast as the 780. Any chance you'll compare the 980s performance on Linux to Windows, Michael?

Comment

Still don't quite understand why the latest stable drivers haven't hit Arch's repos yet that enable support for these cards.

Comment

I'm more interested in the GTX 970, seems more cost-effective

Comment

<- Patiently waiting for the 1000 series.

But since I'm still on 670, I'm starting to feel a bit of pressure with 980 out there. I want it.

Comment

I'd put money on Wine not recognizing it right away. It took them a few tries to get my GTX 770 to work.
            You'll probably need to run update-pciids as root, or it will just say "NVidia Device xxx" because most stable Linux builds simply don't know what the ID of this card actually goes to-and Wine won't be able to match "NVidia Geforce GTX 980" to its list of graphics cards.

Comment

While the, admittedly massive, increase in performance per watt is impressive, I'll skip this one. It's not long since I got a 770 4GB, and I think that'll hold out for a while. They're still on the 28nm production, and 4GB is fine for now, but I think the next stage will see a fairly big increase in VRAM and a die shrink. Isn't Intel on something like 14nm now, or getting there soon?

Comment

There are rumors that a GTX 990 and Titan X with 12 GB VRAM and broader memory bus, might be coming next.

Comment

What a surprise, i thought it will take at least 3x 980gtx in sli to handle such modern monster as xfce or gnome desktop Anyway, there already is gtx titan x with 12 gb vram and everything else, it cost only 3k euros, but hey.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Is Running Great On Linux

The GeForce GTX 980 is NVIDIA's most advanced graphics card to date and is running brilliantly on Linux -- assuming you're okay with binary blobs...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc5NzY
                    Men, you have one of the best job of the non programmer geek world. Head to head with betha test of games.

Comment

Working...
                    X