Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ExaGear Launches For x86 Windows/Linux Apps On ARM

Phoronix: ExaGear Launches For x86 Windows/Linux Apps On ARM

Back in August I wrote about new software that claims to be 4.5x faster than QEMU for running Intel x86 binaries on ARM. That software is available today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

you keep posting news about them, yet their site is always down, wtf?

oh, it was up once in September, yay http://web.archive.org/web/201408300...s.com/product/

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post

oh, it was up once in September, yay http://web.archive.org/web/201408300...s.com/product/
      Angry QEMU developer on a DDOS rampage? Wouldn't put it past the people in this community to do something like that.

Comment

Its a lot faster than 4.5 times vs Qemu, as some user benchmark say, but i don't get the no 3D acceleration. 3D is a GPU drivers responsibility and not for the emulator. If it is a simple transcoder then what is going on? If it is a full emulator the it is a simple passthrough so? Anyway very expensive for an easy job and no 3D, its a crap.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
          Its a lot faster than 4.5 times vs Qemu, as some user benchmark say, but i don't get the no 3D acceleration. 3D is a GPU drivers responsibility and not for the emulator. If it is a simple transcoder then what is going on? If it is a full emulator the it is a simple passthrough so? Anyway very expensive for an easy job and no 3D, its a crap.
          Wait.. so it's more than 4.5 times faster than Qemu, but because it doesn't have 3D it's crap? Sounds like it already has something to offer over Qemu if you want to run a 2d application (like office).

Comment

there's libhoudini

Intel has a nice thing for this x86 emulation that only runs on Android though and it's called libhoudini. It's proprietary though and I'm wondering if it's the same technology as this one.
            If not it would be interesting to know what the performance difference between the two is. I'd bet on libhoudini which Intel might have licensed from someone else ( hence the lack of open source for it).

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
              Sorry, data center of our hoster was down for 2-3 hours

I hope this is not QEMU guys because otherwise I am scared ...
              Last edited by pUnK; 03 October 2014, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                The problem is ARM devices usually have OpenGLES drivers but x86 have OpenGL and you can not "simpe passthrough"
                Last edited by pUnK; 03 October 2014, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
                  Intel has a nice thing for this x86 emulation that only runs on Android though and it's called libhoudini. It's proprietary though and I'm wondering if it's the same technology as this one.
                  If not it would be interesting to know what the performance difference between the two is. I'd bet on libhoudini which Intel might have licensed from someone else ( hence the lack of open source for it).
                  Intel makes opposite stuff - ARM to x86

Comment

Originally posted by pUnK View Post
                    The problem is ARM devices usually have OpenGLES drivers but x86 have OpenGL and you can not "simpe passthrough"
                    The open drivers for ARM often (aim to) support desktop GL. Freedreno already does, the others are working towards it I believe. So checking if the host has GL available should be quite feasible, not to mention GLES passthrough.

Comment

Working...
                    X