OpenBenchmarking.org: Ubuntu Prepares To Be Overtaken By Arch Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBenchmarking.org: Ubuntu Prepares To Be Overtaken By Arch Linux

Phoronix: OpenBenchmarking.org: Ubuntu Prepares To Be Overtaken By Arch Linux

For the first time in the history of OpenBenchmarking.org, Ubuntu Linux is about to be overtaken by another distribution as the most popular environment for conducting tests...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

[x] ArchLinux
    [x] AMD CPU/Gpu
    [x] Western Digital
    [x] Asus MoBo
    [ ] OpenBenchmarking.com

Suddenly i feel the strong desire to benchmark anything ...

Comment

To Arch users, please install these (so that your system will be recognized as "Arch" and not "Linux"):
      Code:
      sudo pacman -S lsb-release
      And here's what you'll have now:
      Code:
      ~$ lsb_release -a
      LSB Version:	1.4
      Distributor ID:	Arch
      Description:	Arch Linux
      Release:	rolling
      Codename:	n/a

Comment

Great news. To me, it shows the Phoronix readership is a bit more discerning with their distro choice. I think that was probable given the nature of the site, but it's nice to see actual evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
          To Arch users, please install these (so that your system will be recognized as "Arch" and not "Linux"):
          Code:
          sudo pacman -S lsb-release
          And here's what you'll have now:
          Code:
          ~$ lsb_release -a
          LSB Version:	1.4
          Distributor ID:	Arch
          Description:	Arch Linux
          Release:	rolling
          Codename:	n/a
          Stupid idea. That would only decrease the amount of (Linux 3.10 64-Bit) showing up in Steam HW Survey & Co. and instead form a small group of PCs that identify as Arch and fall under the "Other" category. lsb-release is considered legacy anyway. /etc/os-release is replacing it.

Comment

I switched from Ubuntu to ArchLinux mainly because upgrading every 6 months sucks, with Arch my system is always up to date, I still recommend Ubuntu to people which isn't tech-savy. I think I will never switch back to a debian based distro pacman is so damn fast it makes my spinning harddrive feel like a solid sate drive , in comparison apt is slow and sluggish... did I mentioned slow?...

Comment

It seems there's a corresponding move from Ubuntu to *Linux in July, about 12% by eye - the last three months are practically mirrored. This points to only a few organizations moving in unison, for why would that many users all switch at the same time? And July too, if they were unhappy about the latest-at-the-time Ubuntu release, they would've switched in April or May.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Stupid idea. That would only decrease the amount of (Linux 3.10 64-Bit) showing up in Steam HW Survey & Co. and instead form a small group of PCs that identify as Arch and fall under the "Other" category. lsb-release is considered legacy anyway. /etc/os-release is replacing it.
                What a stupid answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                  What a stupid answer.
                  The last part is correct though - /etc/os-release is the file to parse nowadays, not /etc/lsb-release.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                    The last part is correct though - /etc/os-release is the file to parse nowadays, not /etc/lsb-release.
                    Agreed, but what if no one uses it right now? We stay blind in all the surveys waiting for the softwares to be updated?
                    lsb-release is just a few files that you can uninstall at anytime (when all the important softwares will be ready for os-release).

Comment

Working...
                    X