Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Won't Likely Replace EXT4 As The Default Until Fedora 23

Phoronix: Btrfs Won't Likely Replace EXT4 As The Default Until Fedora 23

While some having been thinking that Fedora developers might enable the Btrfs file-system by default in Fedora 22, that doesn't appear to be the case. Fedora is unlikely to see Btrfs by default until at least Fedora 23...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by atari314
    And what is pushing btrfs (which has the worst performance) instead of ext4?
    Oh yeah, that cancerD you're defending, fanboy...
    Next-gen filesystem features. Btrfs was conceived and started before systemd, and if it was tied to systemd, Fedora would have made it default a couple of years ago.
    I don't use Fedora or btrfs (and only started recently using systemd because Debian has chose to adopt it as default and I have not found any reason to seek an alternative init sytem).

Maybe you should look in the mirror if you want to see what the cancer is and who the fanboy is.

Comment

(And yes, btrfs sucks.)
      btrfs has saved me gigabytes in disk space with transparent compression, made restore points braindead easy (snapshots), and has recovered 15 drive file corruption errors with checksumming on just one 10 year old disk I have (that I don't put anything *really* important on in the first place, but still).

Comment

btrfs is great

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        btrfs has saved me gigabytes in disk space with transparent compression, made restore points brain-dead easy (snapshots), and has recovered 15 drive file corruption errors with checksumming on just one 10 year old disk I have (that I don't put anything *really* important on in the first place, but still).
        I use it, I do occasional rollbacks(recover) with it and it is just A-OK for my needs. I run it on an SSD.

Like any filesystem, there are some teething problems, but these do get resolved before "go live". And with petabyte file systems, we cannot use EXT4.

Comment

I am willing to give up some performance for the extra file security.

The biggest perforamnce boost is to disable atime. Seriously, when is atime ever used?

Comment

Originally posted by lsatenstein View Post
            I use it, I do occasional rollbacks(recover) with it and it is just A-OK for my needs. I run it on an SSD.

Like any filesystem, there are some teething problems, but these do get resolved before "go live". And with petabyte file systems, we cannot use EXT4.
            Heh! I was just going to query about any SSD peculiarities!

Maybe I'll try this on my next install... still trying to pick a distro though pretty much either Fedora or Arch(I think...).

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
              I am willing to give up some performance for the extra file security.

The biggest perforamnce boost is to disable atime. Seriously, when is atime ever used?
              you don't get any real performance boost by disabling atime since Fedora 14 onwards uses relatime by default

Learn more about Fedora Linux, the Fedora Project & the Fedora Community.

Mutt and several other components including the old tmpwatch relies on atime to work propertly.

Comment

Originally posted by busukxuan
                what if one day systemd pushes wayland?
                systemd is used in Wayland desktops and Root-less Xorg set up's

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                  btrfs has saved me gigabytes in disk space with transparent compression...
                  Same here, I've got it on some drives I've got in a headless server which I mainly use as a file server through samba. It's astounding how much space it saves, and all for a small and simple argument on the /etc/fstab file.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    you don't get any real performance boost by disabling atime since Fedora 14 onwards uses relatime by default

Learn more about Fedora Linux, the Fedora Project & the Fedora Community.

Mutt and several other components including the old tmpwatch relies on atime to work propertly.
                    Hi there. I am planning on installing Fedora 21 Workstataion on a SSD next week. Do I need to manually change some BTRFS optioms to get good performance(not best, I need the failchecks) and more lifespan.

Comment

Working...
                    X