Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBMC/Kodi 14 Alpha 4 Brings EGL + GLESv2 To X11

Phoronix: XBMC/Kodi 14 Alpha 4 Brings EGL + GLESv2 To X11

Kodi, the open-source multimedia software formerly known as XBMC, is out with a new alpha release in preparation for its inaugural v14.0 debut...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DSD? Presumably that's for SACD support yeah? Can you play physical discs, or rips, or both? My understanding is that the copyright protection on SACDs is still holding strong. I've got some SACDs lying around somewhere that I like playing occasionally, and the PS3 is going to get packed away soon I reckon so that addition interests me.

Comment

EGL + GLES out of the box support on X. That's great
      Now we still need out of the box support for:
      - (Exynos) Mali GPU's
      - (Snapdragon) Adreno GPU's
      - some other arm based gpu's

Then i can finally compile/run Kodi directly from master instead of applying custom branches...

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        DSD? Presumably that's for SACD support yeah? Can you play physical discs, or rips, or both? My understanding is that the copyright protection on SACDs is still holding strong. I've got some SACDs lying around somewhere that I like playing occasionally, and the PS3 is going to get packed away soon I reckon so that addition interests me.

Nope - no SACD support, just the rips.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
          - (Exynos) Mali GPU's

Then i can finally compile/run Kodi directly from master instead of applying custom branches...
          hmm, I'd used xbmc w/ egl/gles2 with x11 at least a couple years back. I don't *think* there were any extra patches needed for that, but it was a compile time option. (Not sure if kodi 14 changes that to a runtime thing??)

btw, xbmc runs just fine w/ freedreno on snapdragon ;-)
          (at least the GL part.. it would be nice if we had hw video decode under linux..)

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
            hmm, I'd used xbmc w/ egl/gles2 with x11 at least a couple years back. I don't *think* there were any extra patches needed for that, but it was a compile time option. (Not sure if kodi 14 changes that to a runtime thing??)

btw, xbmc runs just fine w/ freedreno on snapdragon ;-)
            (at least the GL part.. it would be nice if we had hw video decode under linux..)
            XBMC never had X11 + gles2 support on linux desktops as far as i know. You must have had some custom branch that enabled it. I know i did

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
              - (Exynos) Mali GPU's

And also full VideoCore 2d graphics support for the GUI. The current backend isn't optimal for RPi HTPC.

Comment

I wonder when they are going to support Opus audio inside MKV containers. XBMC and VLC both suffer from two years of negligence of enabling this support. At least VLC nightly builds have supported it for the last year, and mpv has supported it since the day it was available, but the last time I tried Kodi two weeks ago, none of my content with Opus audio would play.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                  I wonder when they are going to support Opus audio inside MKV containers. XBMC and VLC both suffer from two years of negligence of enabling this support. At least VLC nightly builds have supported it for the last year, and mpv has supported it since the day it was available, but the last time I tried Kodi two weeks ago, none of my content with Opus audio would play.
                  it is supported.

EDIT: well maybe not in those f***ed debian builds, compiled against libav not ffmpeg
                  Last edited by stefansaraev; 06 October 2014, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X