Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Has A CEO Shake-Up Again

Phoronix: AMD Has A CEO Shake-Up Again

The AMD news keeps rolling today... The latest is word hitting the wire that Rory Read has stepped down from AMD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What? I mean, why? I thought Rory Read did great?

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      No idea but he staying as adviser until the end of the years, so not like he depart on bad term. And Su isn't a bad choice, she an M.I.T. doctor in electrical engineering.

Actually after reading other article it was long term planning for Su to succeed as CEO, so I guess his job was simply done.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
        No idea but he staying as adviser until the end of the years, so not like he depart on bad term. And Su isn't a bad choice, she an M.I.T. doctor in electrical engineering.

Actually after reading other article it was long term planning for Su to succeed as CEO, so I guess his job was simply done.
        Yeah, could be his job was simply to plug all the leaks on the sinking ship. He has definitely done that.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
          Rory Read was part of the transformation process, which AMD has been through in the later years. It was necessary as AMD struggled with it's finances some years ago. Rory Read was hired to deal with to deal with this problem, and now AMD is almost back on the same track they left some years ago. You are right, Rory Read did very well and thats exactly why he's leaving now when AMD can "take care of themselves". He was hired to do one specific job, and he succeeded. Now it's time for Lisa Su to follow up. Su might be more involved in AMD's technology and in "better" contact with the development teams at AMD than Read was and therefore a better long term CEO.

I believe that was the reason AMD hired Rory Read, but I can't find the source(s) from back then. However, it is very common for bigger companies to do things like this(and the CEO hired for this job also knows that), so I wouldn't be surprised if it too was the case with AMD.

Comment

If you're interested in what she is like in person (slightly PRish):

Also, "the reason I got started in EE was that I thought it was the hardest possible subject" how fucking badass is that.

Comment

Lisa is awesome. Great news for AMD.

Comment

I'm not too familiar with Rory's background, but I got the impression he was more of a businessman. Seeing Lisa being a dedicated EE is a good sign to me. Rory may have helped patch the company enough to keep moving but I expect Lisa to not accept "good enough". I hope AMD's new CPU architecture will be something to give Intel a run for their money, I hope to see AMD re-hire the people they laid off, and I hope they don't let go of any of their linux developers.

Comment

If people are a little slow on the uptake they should realize that AMD has been restructuring their leadership and focus by individuals who learned well from Apple, by working at Apple.

There is a lot of parallels internally and in change of leadership with a scaled back focus to core markets only.

Comment

Great. Let's just hope that AMD does not end up doing something like the GNOME OPW and spend all their money and go bankrupt during the process....

Comment

Working...
                    X