Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SilverStone Raven RV05

Phoronix: SilverStone Raven RV05

We're finally starting to reach a state where case manufacturers are doing away with the seldom-used 5.25-inch drive bays! With computer enthusiasts not often needing optical drives these days in their desktops, SilverStone introduced the Raven RV05 this past summer that does away with all 5.25-inch drive bays (though there is a slim slot-loading optical drive bay slot if you really need it...). With Linux users especially being rarely reliant on optical drives given that most Linux distributions can be installed in a "live USB" manner and most software obtained over the Internet via distribution package repositories, the Raven RV05 we're looking at today should be efficient and attractive to many Linux users.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting design, but seems a bit large for a case without 5.25" bays. Also seems to have relatively poor cable management.

Comment

Slim optical drives are more expensive than normal ones, so it?s weird they went that route for such a huge box.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Interesting design, but seems a bit large for a case without 5.25" bays. Also seems to have relatively poor cable management.
        Size is result of angled motherboard. It is easier to mount and unmount parts and airflow is better when case isn't tight.

Originally posted by stqn View Post
        Slim optical drives are more expensive than normal ones, so it?s weird they went that route for such a huge box.
        There are also USB optical drives. Optical drive is often unnecessary in age of Internet.

Comment

HUGE

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: SilverStone Raven RV05

We're finally starting to reach a state where case manufacturers are doing away with the seldom-used 5.25-inch drive bays! With computer enthusiasts not often needing optical drives these days in their desktops, SilverStone introduced the Raven RV05 this past summer that does away with all 5.25-inch drive bays (though there is a slim slot-loading optical drive bay slot if you really need it...). With Linux users especially being rarely reliant on optical drives given that most Linux distributions can be installed in a "live USB" manner and most software obtained over the Internet via distribution package repositories, the Raven RV05 we're looking at today should be efficient and attractive to many Linux users.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21012
          This case looks huge. I might have to add another oom to the house just for it...assuming I would purchase such a beast.

Then there is this picture: http://www.phoronix.com/image-viewer...rv05_case5_lrg

I point out this picture from the article because it provides an interesting view of the case. You can clearly make out the "top hat" and "bottom base" added to the overall design.

Comment

Isn't dust an issue, with all the 'rear panel' vents/fans/ports facing upwards?
            For anyone who isn't a hardware reviewer, I can't see how the added bulk and reduced internal space would come close to being a good tradeoff. How many people change their hardware more than a few times a year?

Comment

I want to see more computer cases do away with 5.25" bays and even 3.5" internal hard drive bays, focusing in 2.5" drives instead. I like having a Micro-ATX case with 280mm radiator at the top of the case, as I'm going small.

Comment

why is it that people only consider optical drives when talking about 5.25" bays ? I want 3-4 5.25" bays for hot-swap/hot-plog raid enclosures in my case.

Comment

I use them

Speak for yourself, I use Optical drives everyday as a backup medium. =p

It's about security also, a Hacker can't get what's sitting in my closet =)

Yes I use Thumb Drives too but there isn't any telling when those things will fail and lose all your data.

Comment

Michael, why don't you use PXE installers? For those distros (+Windows) that support it, would save time compared to writing and booting USB sticks. You probably have a gigabit network anyway, that would install faster than the average usb 3.0 stick.

Comment

Working...
                    X