Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeRDS Talked Up For X & Wayland

Phoronix: FreeRDS Talked Up For X & Wayland

The FreeRDS project was talked about at this past week's XDC2014 conference in Bordeaux, France. FreeRDS is an open-source RDP server derived from FreeRDP...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not use FreeRDP?

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
      Why not use FreeRDP?
      From what I can gather... FreeRDP is the client. FreeRDS is the server.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I believe this should be an optional wayland interface, not a separate framework

Comment

Didn't WL already had a RDP back end that you could use to get remote access from another PC???

Comment

'Bout time there was some focus on remote desktop access on Wayland. Them just stating that "network support was outside the scope of the Wayland project" was starting to worry me.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              'Bout time there was some focus on remote desktop access on Wayland. Them just stating that "network support was outside the scope of the Wayland project" was starting to worry me.
              It still is outside the scope of Wayland. The entire point of Wayland is disentangling the network part from the rendering part. Wayland is just a protocol for compositors to compose application windows. FreeRDS (and XWayland and everything else of that ilk) is built on top of that, by different people.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
                I believe this should be an optional wayland interface, not a separate framework
                Wayland is an API, to be implemented by toolkits and frameworks. Gtk and Qt, for instance, are toolkits which implement the Wayland interfaces. Gtk also implements a network interface backend, btw (see, Broadway).

Similarly, FreeRDS is a Wayland compositor (and client? hard to tell just looking at the slides...maybe it's a Weston plugin, they seem to go out of their way to mention Weston specifically) which speaks the RDP protocol over a network. Looks like it asks the parent compositor for update information (new regions), encodes and then sends them over the net via RDP.

@89c51: "The author of the ?*famous*? wayland RDP compositor." <- from the PDF linked in the article.

Comment

Working...
                X