Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackware Developer Not Happy With KDE5 Development

Phoronix: Slackware Developer Not Happy With KDE5 Development

Eric Hameleers of the Slackware project isn't happy right now with how the modularized KDE Frameworks 5 with Plasma 5 development is going and for the time being will not be making "KDE5" packages for Slackware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

well no offence intended but im actually surprised erik managed to compile parts of kf5 in slackware(not exactly a bleeding edge distro).

In KDE defence they make very clear KF5 and plasma-next are not even close to production use and is targeted for developers porting their projects, so i can imply is obviously all bleeding edge at this point.

slackware should stick to KDE4 series until upstream says otherwise, leave kf5 to Archers/gentooers/tumbleweed/rawhide

Comment

Welcome to the world of mess, sorry, Linux.

Comment

Until the "KDE5" code is breaking less
        Oh, that's gonna take forever. KDE is made to break.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Welcome to the world of mess, sorry, Linux.
          yeah because software in heavy development stages is supposed to have stable dependencies and never require git code, omg you are so right /Sarcasm

Comment

FWIW...
            KDE5 is indeed in a development stage and Slackware is my main favorite Distro (followed by Linux Mint) but whatever distro i install,

i NEVER use KDE (after the times of KDE 3.5.xx, that is...) .
            I really freaking HATE KDE (Gnome)....nowadays i use XFCE.

Comment

He makes a valid point, however, a good maintainer will test the packages themselves before releasing them. It makes sense why you'd want all packages to be updated at the same time, but whenever I get KDE updates I've often wondered if some of the packages actually had any changes at all besides version number. This can be a real waste of bandwidth, which is pretty precious to non-profit servers.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                well no offence intended but im actually surprised erik managed to compile parts of kf5 in slackware(not exactly a bleeding edge distro).

there is the "current" branch of slackware for more of a bleeding edge
                not that you need the latest and greatest to compile and run kde5

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                  Oh, that's gonna take forever. KDE is made to break.
                  I am working 100% under KDE (on Opensuse 13.1) since nearly 1 year and make all updates => 0 break for this period.

I suppose you are talking about the betas/first versions of KDE4...

KDE5 will very probably have breaks too at start but I really trust their community. They really make a good job.

Comment

Too me KDE SC 5 is in the development stages. I wouldn't upgrade to it until at least everything gets ported which hasn't happened yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X