Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOPE: The Ease Of Python With The Speed Of C++

Phoronix: HOPE: The Ease Of Python With The Speed Of C++

HOPE is the latest Python compiler out there focused to deliver great speed. The HOPE JIT compiler is said to combine the ease of Python with the speed of C++...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

HOPE to much resemblance to facebooks HIPHOP now called hhvm

Comment

For those actually looking to compile python, check out Nuitka:
      With the Python compiler Nuitka you create protected binaries out of your Python source code.

It converts to C++/C style code, does optimizations, and produces binaries (standalone like CX_Freeze, or not). I'm not the author, just a user.

Comment

Cython and shedskin already exist.

Comment

expectations

As a professional group, compiler writers more-often-than-not over-promise and severely under-deliver. TTBOMK, no single JIT-ed dynamic language has even gotten close to the speed of C++. I'm talking about well-written, performance-optimized code. One can always write "crap" and then "prove" that one language is faster than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
            For those actually looking to compile python, check out Nuitka:
            With the Python compiler Nuitka you create protected binaries out of your Python source code.

It converts to C++/C style code, does optimizations, and produces binaries (standalone like CX_Freeze, or not). I'm not the author, just a user.
            Hmm I haven't heard of this. I may look into it. Do you know if it supports libraries like Qt or pygame?

Comment

Tell me they are not using some kind of stupid garbage collector which alone makes it not as fast as a proper written c++ application...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Hmm I haven't heard of this. I may look into it. Do you know if it supports libraries like Qt or pygame?
                Probably, yes. I haven't tried pygame, but It works fine compiling my pysdl2 project. If it doesn't work on something, open a bug ticket. They're goal is full compatibility, and it's pretty much already fully compatible.

Comment

Wow, another project which intends to achieve the speed of compiled code with a JiT-compiler. Well, don't they all wish to achieve this? Let them try, perhaps something good comes out of it, even though the goal is unrealistic. At least they've done one thing right; choosing an appropriate name for the project. Unfortunately even Barack says:

Let's keep your eyes out for flying pigs.

Sarcasm aside, good luck.

Comment

Re

The word "JIT" in there already calls to the bulls**t claims that it reaches C++ speed...

Comment

Working...
                    X