Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 8.0 Jessie Has Many Multimedia Improvements

Phoronix: Debian 8.0 Jessie Has Many Multimedia Improvements

While init system discussions have dominated the discussions about Debian 8.0 Jessie, on a brighter note, there's many multimedia improvements found in this next release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tried to test the current state of Wayland on Jessie.

But it seems to be broken.

The performance it's way too slow.

So slow that it takes nearly a minute between a pointer click on a panel / men? button and the start of the drawing of the application window.

And finally it freezes.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
      I tried to test the current state of Wayland on Jessie.

But it seems to be broken.

The performance it's way too slow.

So slow that it takes nearly a minute between a pointer click on a panel / men? button and the start of the drawing of the application window.

And finally it freezes.
      I'm not sure it's realistic to expect decent Wayland support this Debian. Maybe in 9

Comment

Doesn't look like the ffmpeg return suggestion got anywhere, then. Debian/Ubuntu/Mint get stuck with buggy, poorly-supported libav for another two years.

Comment

Aldo libjpeg-turbo finally replaces the standard library.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
            Doesn't look like the ffmpeg return suggestion got anywhere, then. Debian/Ubuntu/Mint get stuck with buggy, poorly-supported libav for another two years.
            I don't think libav is poorly supported, but OK . It is not "anywhere" ffmpeg is returned to Debian month ago It is not default and no apps using it, but it is there... so build your GUI around it . If you wanna embeded it, specific version and patched, etc... well Debian mostly does not care about that, that is yours...

So more or less, if ffmpeg maintainers wanna do it for a long time some apps may start to use it in stable via backports .

Comment

GUI for MPV?

I was intrigued by mpv so I downloaded it. It can use play lists but does not have a tool to create or manage play lists(?). Does Jesse have any GUI front end for mpv that provides reasonable support for play lists? As I uses XFCE4, a GTK front end would be preferable.

Comment

Working...
              X