Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-Way Ubuntu 14.10 Linux Desktop Benchmarks

Phoronix: 6-Way Ubuntu 14.10 Linux Desktop Benchmarks

In celebration of Ubuntu 14.10's Utopic Unicorn release today, here's some fresh benchmarks of one of the most requested topics: 2D/3D benchmarks of different desktop environments. In this article is a look at six of the popular desktop offerings found in Ubuntu 14.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be interesting how XFCE turned out with compositing deactivated. I guess it was turned on?

Comment

I really love the 2D performance of Openbox, which I believe is the lightweight factor.

I also like that I can have it look like a slick desktop OS while being lightweight. I don't exactly like the look of Windows 95/98 with the greys and shadows...

Something I still miss is right-clicking basically anywhere for the program menu.

Comment

I've used KDE, Gnome, lxqt, enlightenment, icewm, openbox, cinnamon and other desktops, and I still love KDE for gaming. I will happily trade a few raw FPS for the smooth experience of playing a 3D FPS on KDE. Unfortunately, a benchmark that only looks at raw FPS and not interactivity or responsiveness does not tell the whole story, and can be rather misleading.

Comment

Did you use different themes for the GtkPerf benchmark? Because this benchmark above all tests the performance of the GTK+ theme engine being used, window manager and/or compostior shouldn't make that much of difference.

Comment

Well that was certainly a screwed up set of results. Seems like no DE is perfect at anything, though KDE does appear to be the worst performer overall. I'm really surprised unity did so great.

Comment

Michael you ran the Qt Benchmarks in XRender mode again....
              Raster has been the suggested default backend for years now.

Comment

compositing doesn't necessarily hurt widget tests

Originally posted by ungutknut View Post
                Would be interesting how XFCE turned out with compositing deactivated. I guess it was turned on?
                compositing / off-screen rendering doesn't necessarily hurt the widget test suites, and it can in fact speed it up in some scenarios, because VRAM access can be slower. It depends on the complexity of the widget and whether XAA/SNA/EXA can be used for block blitting to accererate rendering in VRAM. If not, main memory is going to be faster for most things; updating to VRAM on vsync is going to greatly reduce VRAM bandwidth = more draws per second, just not to the actual display ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Well that was certainly a screwed up set of results. Seems like no DE is perfect at anything, though KDE does appear to be the worst performer overall. I'm really surprised unity did so great.
                  First thing I tend to do on KDE systems is to disable desktop effects. Just wondering what results would be with such a setting ...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    That's no surprise. I'm not sure why KDE is liked by some Linux users. It's buggy trash.

Comment

Working...
                    X