Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 10.1 RC3 Has ZFS, UDPLite Fixes

Phoronix: FreeBSD 10.1 RC3 Has ZFS, UDPLite Fixes

FreeBSD 10.1 RC3 was a few days late but it's out there this Thursday afternoon. FreeBSD 10.3 takes care of an API incompatibility between 10.0-RELEASE and the earlier 10.1-RC2 state (due to the libopie library) and aside from that this third release candidate has a lot of other fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: FreeBSD 10.1 RC3 Has ZFS, UDPLite Fixes

FreeBSD 10.1 RC3 was a few days late but it's out there this Thursday afternoon. FreeBSD 10.3 takes care of an API incompatibility between 10.0-RELEASE and the earlier 10.1-RC2 state (due to the libopie library) and aside from that this third release candidate has a lot of other fixes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgyMTU
    I think Michael meant 10.1 RC 3, not 10.3.

Comment

FreeBSD, Plan B for systemd refugees

As soon as FreeBSD 10.1 is released (probably mid-November), I'm taking the plunge. I'm getting rid of Ubuntu because of the imminent arrival of the mandatory systemd virus (Note: Ubuntu still uses Upstart but will switch to systemd soon).

I have used FreeBSD before, but it was some years. Overall, it was a good system, but Ubuntu has been good too and I'm sure I'll miss its ease of administration. It's a real shame that the vast majority of Linux distros are intent on committing mass suicide with systemd. I have considered Gentoo and Slackware, but there is always the possibility that those two distros will throw in the towel, so for now that's my Plan C. FreeBSD is Plan B for me because there is simply no way it can run systemd even if their developers wanted it (and they don't, of course).

People I know who never would have considered FreeBSD before are suddenly extremely interested. It's an ironic turn of events.

Unfortunately, systemd may create some headaches for FreeBSD developers, due to the growing list of Linux software (Gnome currently, possibly KDE in future) which now have dependencies on systemd. These dependencies can be worked around, but it's time-consuming for developers.
      Last edited by Candide; 23 October 2014, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Candide View Post
        As soon as FreeBSD 10.1 is released (probably mid-November), I'm taking the plunge. I'm getting rid of Ubuntu because of the imminent arrival of the mandatory systemd virus (Note: Ubuntu still uses Upstart but will switch to systemd soon).

People I know who never would have considered FreeBSD before are suddenly extremely interested. It's an ironic turn of events.
        While I mostly agree that the systemd situation is making FreeBSD's true UNIX-like style extremely attractive, I think it would be better if people take the time to check out the features that make it special instead of the crap it doesn't have.

ZFS, DTrace, jails, bhyve .. it's a new world, and it's pretty exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by wikinevick View Post
          While I mostly agree that the systemd situation is making FreeBSD's true UNIX-like style extremely attractive, I think it would be better if people take the time to check out the features that make it special instead of the crap it doesn't have.

ZFS, DTrace, jails, bhyve .. it's a new world, and it's pretty exciting.
          It seems you have no idea. FreeBSD isn't UNIX-like anymore. It has abandoned the Unix way years ago. Soft updates, ZFS, DTrace and its networking stack are testament to this. Linux is much closer to Unix philosophy when comes to simplicity. Furthermore, there are no features in FreeBSD over Linux that make it special.

Comment

ZFS is the flagship product of the BSD world and it is least compliant to the UNIX principles. It's a filesystem in the strict sense + volume manager + RAID + snapshotter + backup, in one huge monolithic binary. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just "the UNIX philosophy" tends to be thrown around a lot these days with threats of "switching over to FreeBSD". Okay, sure, just don't delude yourself it's a true UNIX.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              It seems you have no idea. FreeBSD isn't UNIX-like anymore. It has abandoned the Unix way years ago. Soft updates, ZFS, DTrace and its networking stack are testament to this. Linux is much closer to Unix philosophy when comes to simplicity. Furthermore, there are no features in FreeBSD over Linux that make it special.
              Right, Pawlerson, aka endman, aka jake_lesser, aka BSDSucksDicks, aka LinuxAnalsBSD, whatever you say... You should say that over at your dead blog aboutthebsds.wordpress.com. Loser.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                It seems you have no idea. We are talking about Operating Systems here, Linux is only a kernel. If you mean GNU/Linux than I shall remind you that GNU means "GNU's Not UNIX". A clear testament that certain lusers can only live around hate for the things they admire. Pretty much like you (pawlerson, endman whatever) and your stupid blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Candide View Post

I have used FreeBSD before, but it was some years. Overall, it was a good system, but Ubuntu has been good too and I'm sure I'll miss its ease of administration. It's a real shame that the vast majority of Linux distros are intent on committing mass suicide with systemd. I have considered Gentoo and Slackware, but there is always the possibility that those two distros will throw in the towel, so for now that's my Plan C. FreeBSD is Plan B for me because there is simply no way it can run systemd even if their developers wanted it (and they don't, of course).

Unfortunately, systemd may create some headaches for FreeBSD developers, due to the growing list of Linux software (Gnome currently, possibly KDE in future) which now have dependencies on systemd. These dependencies can be worked around, but it's time-consuming for developers.
                  You could always switch to Gentoo Linux or Gentoo FreeBSD. We have ZFS on both platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
                    You could always switch to Gentoo Linux or Gentoo FreeBSD. We have ZFS on both platforms.
                    That's very cool! IMHO, even on linux ZFS is the best filesystem.

Of course, there's also Debian kFreeBSD that keeps the familiar GNU userland. For a desktop I would probably just go with PC-BSD though.

Comment

Working...
                    X