Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Factory & Tumbleweed Are Merging

Phoronix: openSUSE Factory & Tumbleweed Are Merging

openSUSE's Factory and Tumbleweed rolling-release projects will be merged into one next month around the time of the openSUSE 13.2 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That certainly simplifies things.

Comment

Piece of crap distro, that just confirmed that I personally switched from it.
      Ugly configuration - multiple windows with progress bars and two buttons.
      Use of alot of memory.
      Scattered repositories.
      Basic repository also fragmented with illogical labeling (oss, non-oss, src-oss, src-nonoss, update, debug, and so on).
      Outdated packages in non-tumbleweed.
      Broken tumbleweed.
      Absence of codecs and many essential software in basic repository.
      Idiotic package manager - poorly documented, very function limited, unprofessional (double-Ctrl-C: "Ok, ok, I am quiting", wtf OK-OK)
      A lot of bugs, like not cleaning of /tmp !!!

By merging tumbleweed(*) with factory(*) - they basically destroyed the only positive - they loose to Mint(non-rolling) and Manjaro(rolling, acceptable, cutting edge).
      * - wtf this naming, why not call it "testing" and "unstable", or "rolling" and "unstable" - or anything of SANE. Is this building of robots(factory) and desert (tumbleweed)??

The ugliest distro in non-esthetical way, that I ever used. Gentoo is many times better than this.
      If you use Opensuse, just drop it and switch to Manjaro and likes.
      At least those do the thing, easy to configure, have latest packages, truly roll and its devs can be easy contacted to help with fixing.
      Last edited by brosis; 24 October 2014, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
        Use of alot of memory.
        Scattered repositories.
        Basic repository also fragmented with illogical labeling (oss, non-oss, src-oss, src-nonoss, update, debug, and so on).
        Broken tumbleweed.
        Idiotic package manager - poorly documented, very function limited, unprofessional (double-Ctrl-C: "Ok, ok, I am quiting", wtf OK-OK)

By merging tumbleweed(*) with factory(*) - they basically destroyed the only positive - they loose to Mint(non-rolling) and Manjaro(rolling, acceptable, cutting edge).
        * - wtf this naming, why not call it "testing" and "unstable", or "rolling" and "unstable" - or anything of SANE. Is this building of robots(factory) and desert (tumbleweed)??

The ugliest distro in non-esthetical way, that I ever used. Gentoo is many times better than this.
        At least those do the thing, easy to configure, have latest packages, truly roll and its devs can be easy contacted to help with fixing.

hot troll...

we have a champion

Comment

Oh my goodness - who could ever figure out open-source, non-open-source, and source naming conventions on a repository?

Codecs? You've obviously never used openSUSE before. Or Fedora. Or Debian. And you don't know what either Tumbleweed or Factory refer to.

Newb/troll - you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Do yourself a favor and go back to Mint, let the adults deal with adult distros. I'm afraid you might poke your eye out with the sharp corner of a CD case or something.

Comment

What? Are you just talking about KDE?

Use of alot of memory.
            Again, KDE?

Scattered repositories.
            I can't comment on this since I've never used SUSE/OpenSUSE.

I find that to be perfectly clear. At the very least it's clearer than Ubuntu's Main, Restricted, Universe, Multiverse.

Nah flipping shit, Sherlock. SUSE/OpenSUSE put stability first.

Broken tumbleweed.
            Again, I can't comment on this. What exactly is 'broken' about it?
            OpenSUSE was supposed to have greatly improved the stability of Tumbleweed and Factory recently.

Really now? Practically all non-Ubuntu distributions are like that.
            "By default only free, open, non-patent encumbered formats such as Ogg Theora, Ogg Vorbis and Flac are supported for legal reasons (US software patents and Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA))." - http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php

man zypper

Again, be more specific.

Gentoo is many times better than this.
            Aaaaannnnd we a have troll here.
            Last edited by Ouroboros; 24 October 2014, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Brosis RULZ

Opensuse is completely unstable and buggy, last month I typed Ctrl-C in a terminal and it crashed the program running inside!!!!!!!

And WTF this naming, why not call ALL distros Linux so that we can understand!!!!!!!!!

Comment

All trolling aside I think the messiest thing about openSUSE is their website. When google is easier to use to find what's on it than the site itself I think there's a problem there... Not only is it messy but some of their wiki and portals pages are severely outdated as well.

I guess I've grown accustomed to how simple and easy Arch's website is to find packages and check for info on their amazing wiki. Still, I like Debian Sid and I'm very much curious to try openSUSE rolling to see how it compares to Arch and Sid.

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
                  All trolling aside I think the messiest thing about openSUSE is their website. When google is easier to use to find what's on it than the site itself I think there's a problem there... Not only is it messy but some of their wiki and portals pages are severely outdated as well.

I guess I've grown accustomed to how simple and easy Arch's website is to find packages and check for info on their amazing wiki. Still, I like Debian Sid and I'm very much curious to try openSUSE rolling to see how it compares to Arch and Sid.
                  Good observation.

Comment

Use of alot of memory.
                    Scattered repositories.
                    Broken tumbleweed.

Ubuntu fanboy detected.

Comment

Working...
                    X