Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.10 Offers AMD Radeon Driver Performance Improvements

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.10 Offers AMD Radeon Driver Performance Improvements

In comparing the open-source graphics driver performance of Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS and Ubuntu 14.10, the newer Ubuntu Linux release does offer up some performance improvements to the R600 and RadeonSI graphics drivers, but already in the latest kernel and Mesa Git code is faster performance. Here are benchmarks of Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS vs. Ubuntu 14.10 for several OpenGL benchmarks with different AMD Radeon graphics cards while also adding in the results of the Oibaf PPA and vanilla Linux 3.17 kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu + non-default-kernel is still annoying, I mean, to be once in a week downloading a new kernel and installing it manually, and deleting the old one, its too much work compared to what people from other distros has to do to achieve the same. I think there should exist a repo where with just add it to the ppa's, it update the kernel as soon as there is a newer version. I dont think I am the first one than think about this obvious thing, so I wonder why this hasn't been implemented yet.

Comment

Michael

Another test round with some tests that score very similarly across different GPUs:

World of Padman

Can You add CPU usage % (to clarify if that is GPU constrain or CPU)

Comment

What about R9 290?

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
          What about R9 290?
          Nothing about it, it does not work on Ubuntu 14.04 so can't be compared... same as here:

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Nothing about it, it does not work on Ubuntu 14.04 so can't be compared... same as here:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...687#post448687
            Oh right it did not work with 14.04.

Comment

R9 290

R9 290 is working well in 14.10, with kernel 3.17 and Oibaf. Is better than my 6970. There is a stuttering here and there, but is playable now. Michael should make another test with it.

Comment

These are the kind of benchmarks I like to see. Back to Oibaf and 3.17.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                  Ubuntu + non-default-kernel is still annoying, I mean, to be once in a week downloading a new kernel and installing it manually, and deleting the old one, its too much work compared to what people from other distros has to do to achieve the same. I think there should exist a repo where with just add it to the ppa's, it update the kernel as soon as there is a newer version. I dont think I am the first one than think about this obvious thing, so I wonder why this hasn't been implemented yet.
                  Because it's so hard to go to
                  Code:
                  http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
                  download 3 packages and type
                  Code:
                  sudo dpkg linux*.deb

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
                    Because it's so hard to go to
                    Code:
                    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
                    download 3 packages and type
                    Code:
                    sudo dpkg linux*.deb
                    That's not the point. It would be super easy to automate he process of updating to the latest stable kernel since they already build packages for it and that is basically what ppas have become used for--pseudo rolling release purposes. So why not automate it?

Comment

Working...
                    X