Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing The CPU Usage In Mesa To Improve Performance

Phoronix: Reducing The CPU In Mesa To Improve Performance

Timothy Arceri who previously crowd-funded work to add new GL extensions to Mesa and did so successfully multiple times has now written a new blog post on the topic of reducing the CPU usage in Mesa to potentially improve frame-rates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, supposing this guy actually makes some success out of this, do you think you'll be running tests comparing CPU usage? This sounds pretty interesting to me, and seems like exactly what mesa needs.

Makes me wonder if there are other instructions beyond SSE that could also be used to increase mesa's efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Michael, supposing this guy actually makes some success out of this, do you think you'll be running tests comparing CPU usage? This sounds pretty interesting to me, and seems like exactly what mesa needs.

Makes me wonder if there are other instructions beyond SSE that could also be used to increase mesa's efficiency.
      It's just a matter of setting MONITOR=cpu.usage before running PTS for it to automatically log the CPU usage percentage... But depends how interesting the results are to see if I'll post them in the article.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Did he finish ARB_arrays_of_arrays at last?

Comment

This is pretty grate, I'm glad i funded this guy

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            It's just a matter of setting MONITOR=cpu.usage before running PTS for it to automatically log the CPU usage percentage... But depends how interesting the results are to see if I'll post them in the article.
            No need to give them article coverage even, as long as the cpu and gpu usage can be found in openbenchmarking for the run.

Comment

OpenAL 1.6? I thought OpenAL was owned by Creative and stuck in version 1.1 since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
                OpenAL 1.6? I thought OpenAL was owned by Creative and stuck in version 1.1 since 2005
                They meant OpenAL Soft in version 1.16.0:

Implemented SSE2 and SSE4.1 linear resamplers (thanks to Timothy Arceri!).

Comment

It's OpenAL Soft 1.6

Comment

This is OpenAL Soft to be exact version is 1.16:

Well i switched to 1.16, because of crackling sound for me with 1.15 . Yeah, there are Timoty improvments with SSE2/SSE4.1 optimization used in 1.16 .

Some developer few days ago broke vorbis in Debian too by patching it for audacity, but it broke dhewm3, etc.. i don't know what to do with those developers .
                    Last edited by dungeon; 27 October 2014, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X