Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's R300 Gallium3D Driver Enables VDPAU Again

Phoronix: AMD's R300 Gallium3D Driver Enables VDPAU Again

For those stuck running on the R300g driver, which supports the ATI Radeon X1000 (R500) series and older GPUs, you really should consider upgrading your graphics card and likely your system. But if you're set on using the R300g driver going into the foreseeable future, you might as well upgrade Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

for all intensive purposes
    You mean "for all intents and purposes"

(Sorry for the pedantry... but that always bugs me)

Comment

just FYI, that another small fix isn't related to VDPAU at all. It just corrects clip_halfz handling (needed for ARB_clip_control and Gallium Nine).

Comment

I have a desktop with a 200M/Xpress 1150 iGPU.

I can no longer just "upgrade my GPU" since the PCI-E slot died or something sadly, so any and all updates are welcome with open arms

(of course, if someone wants to buy me some RAM, I could fire up another motherboard and just use that )

Ideally, VDPAU would be wonderful for Plex Home Theater. I mainly use the computer for StepMania, so that part probably won't benefit it.

Comment

You can now upgrade!..

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          you really should consider upgrading your graphics card and likely your system.
          This is it! This is your sign every one! I know millions of you were just waiting to upgrade your old computers until michael told you to.. I know for my self, I was always wanting to upgrade my whole computer, but I always thought "But michael hasn't told me to upgrade yet....I guess I just have to wait longer".. But now we all can! YIPPY SKIPPY!!!!!! I'm sure other constraints like being super poor wasn't stopping any one..
          Hell, I can't wait until he tells us that we can upgrade our cars or houses.. That's the real reason I haven't bought a giant mansion yet and new lexus..

Comment

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
            This is it! This is your sign every one! I know millions of you were just waiting to upgrade your old computers until michael told you to./
            He didn't tell anyone to do anything aside from "consider".

There's a difference between me telling you to "drive off a cliff" vs "consider driving off a cliff"

Comment

you really should consider upgrading your graphics card and likely your system.
              Actually the R300 GPUs are usually better (have more processing power) than even the new Intel GPUs, so I wouldn't call them that outdated. Not everybody uses their machine for gaming, I'd say more people don't play games on their computers than the ones that do, so even an older GPU is ok for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                Actually the R300 GPUs are usually better (have more processing power) than even the new Intel GPUs, so I wouldn't call them that outdated. Not everybody uses their machine for gaming, I'd say more people don't play games on their computers than the ones that do, so even an older GPU is ok for them.
                What utter rubbish, the R500 series is considerably slower than even an intel HD3000, keep up old chap. I wouldn't totally rely on this list but it's a good rule of thumb - see here:

Video Card Benchmarks - Over 200,000 Video Cards and 900 Models Benchmarked and compared in graph form - This page is an alphabetical listing of video card models we have obtained benchmark information for.
                Last edited by Slartifartblast; 29 October 2014, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                  What utter rubbish, the R500 series is considerably slower than even an intel HD3000, keep up old chap. I wouldn't totally rely on this list but it's a good rule of thumb - see here:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php
                  I rely on this comparison: http://www.benchmark.pl/komparator-gpu.html (you can switch the language to english in the middle of the page, on the left), compare e.g. Radeon X800 with GMA 4500HD, and you'll see that it's 2x faster, despite being 4 years older. It might get a lower rating in 3d mark cause it supports lower opengl/shader/directx versions, but performance-wise it's faster (though that's R400, from R300 the X1050 or X600 is still a good bit faster than that Intel card). Check your facts before you call someones opinion 'rubbish'.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                    I rely on this comparison: http://www.benchmark.pl/komparator-gpu.html (you can switch the language to english in the middle of the page, on the left), compare e.g. Radeon X800 with GMA 4500HD, and you'll see that it's 2x faster, despite being 4 years older.
                    He was talking about Intel CPU-integrated graphics and GMA 4500HD is on-board and it's a lot older and slower than Intel HD2000/3000. E.g here is comparison of Radeon X1950 Pro with Intel HD3000:
                    Last edited by _SXX_; 29 October 2014, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X