Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.17 ABI Bumped

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.17 ABI Bumped

For those wondering whether there's ABI breakage with this week's X.Org Server 1.17 Release Candidate, there is indeed some breakage that will warrant the proprietary driver ABIs to be updated and released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Though at least in the future with AMD's new unified Linux driver strategy and also sharing an open-source DDX driver, the Catalyst notorious turnaround time for new X.Org Server support will be an issue of the past."

For those 2 people who buy video cards like Apple products...

Comment

New?

Anything else new in X.org Server 1.17?

What about better XWayland support?
      What about libinput support?
      X without root privileges needs further work? Would love to see distributions using it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        X without root privileges needs further work? Would love to see distributions using it.
        I've been using X without root privileges on Arch for a while now, I'd say it's a solved problem.

Comment

Originally posted by R00KIE View Post
          I've been using X without root privileges on Arch for a while now, I'd say it's a solved problem.
          Is this something you had to hoop through rings to get up and working, or was it setup that way by default out-of-the-box?

I would love to see Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and openSUSE use X without root privileges by default out-of-the-box.

Comment

Is this something you had to hoop through rings to get up and working, or was it setup that way by default out-of-the-box?

I would love to see Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and openSUSE use X without root privileges by default out-of-the-box.
            It just works?

Initially there was a bit of trouble having more than one user running rootless X but now it is sorted out, it should work out of the box.

Comment

The work was done by Fedora Project and pushed upstream. So any distribution using logind should be able to get it working easily

Comment

Working...
              X