Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Foundation Decides On Its Women Outreach Project

Phoronix: X.Org Foundation Decides On Its Women Outreach Project

At yesterday's X.Org Foundation Board of Directors meeting they approved one project for the Outreach Program for Women...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks, Phoronix, I can't WAIT for all the well mannered and respectful comments to come up in this thread!

Comment

not a single woman from the Americas or Europe applied
      As far as I know, Ukraine is in Europe...

Comment

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post
        As far as I know, Ukraine is in Europe...
        Probably should have better clarified Western Europe or EU countries.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

What are the demographics of Phoronix? An article about where readers are from could be interesting. This article implies that most readers are from EU and North America

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            Thanks, Phoronix, I can't WAIT for all the well mannered and respectful comments to come up in this thread!
            I once hoped this site could replace Slashdot, where the every thread on this topic results into a flamewar. Even though on any other topic, those same posters are polite and thoughtful. Something just snaps in them, as if they feel threatened or something. I have no idea why.

Also, very poor taste of that first photo in the article Michael, that just reinforces all the stupid stereotypes men in tech seem to have. It just shows you're part of the problem just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
              Also, very poor taste of that first photo in the article Michael, that just reinforces all the stupid stereotypes men in tech seem to have. It just shows you're part of the problem just the same.
              What's wrong with the photo? I don't have many photos at all of women programming / building computers, etc. Nearly all of the "women computer-ish photos" are of my wife, this was just one of the photos taken from the Sumo bean bag chair review. Yes, she is a Linux user and programmer.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

These results are honestly unsurprising other than there being an applicant from Africa. The display stack is a hard problem, and that means that only a small fraction of the current pool of software engineers wants to work on it, and given that there are very very few female engineers in the US and I would assume Western Europe, you're taking a small fraction of a tiny fraction and as a result coming up empty.

That said... the fact that they chose a NEET underlines a question that Daniel brought up in rhetoric but then refused to answer when pressed. Why not open up programs like EVoC to everyone as opposed to just students?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  What's wrong with the photo? I don't have many photos at all of women programming / building computers, etc. Nearly all of the "women computer-ish photos" are of my wife, this was just one of the photos taken from the Sumo bean bag chair review. Yes, she is a Linux user and programmer.
                  If you don't know what's wrong with the photo, then I can't help you. You just don't get it. It is the *context* dude. It might have been ok for a review, but not *this* story. The idea is all about sensibility, and knowing when what is right or wrong.

And it doesn't matter if its a pic of your wife, mother or some random pic from the net, or whether the person depicted is a hacker or a noob. The story is about destroying stereotypes, but you're only playing further into it. You could have posted the story with only the second picture (group shot), but you didn't. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
                    If you don't know what's wrong with the photo, then I can't help you. You just don't get it. It is the *context* dude. It might have been ok for a review, but not *this* story. The idea is all about sensibility, and knowing when what is right or wrong.

And it doesn't matter if its a pic of your wife, mother or some random pic from the net, or whether the person depicted is a hacker or a noob. The story is about destroying stereotypes, but you're only playing further into it. You could have posted the story with just the second picture (group shot), but you didn't. Why?
                    Dude, calm down. It's a story about affirmative action (aka "positive" discrimination) not about tearing down stereotypes. Those are two very very different things.

Comment

Working...
                    X