Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Plasma 5 Has Big Plans For 2015

Phoronix: KDE's Plasma 5 Has Big Plans For 2015

KDE's Sebastian K?gler has written a lengthy blog post about some of the items that developers will hopefully accomplish in 2015 for Plasma 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and optional to remove Akonadi and Nepomuk with MySql then it could be best

Comment

Originally posted by tuuker View Post
      Nepomuk has never been in Frameworks 5.

Comment

Fingers crossed.

Comment

I wonder which OS was first in introducing the 'main menu' from where you launch your applications. The concept is just so old. IMO the only ones to have successfully come with an alternative is Apple. A very powerful solution would be Apple's spotlight combined with Ubuntu's HUD and Apple's launcher.

PS: thumbs up to the new clean design by KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by MiUNX View Post
            I wonder which OS was first in introducing the 'main menu' from where you launch your applications. The concept is just so old. IMO the only ones to have successfully come with an alternative is Apple. A very powerful solution would be Apple's spotlight combined with Ubuntu's HUD and Apple's launcher.
            pls no

Comment

Originally posted by MiUNX View Post

PS: thumbs up to the new clean design by KDE.
              I guess you're not fond the of the gnome approach? I think it's stronger than the OSX approach, but maybe it is too distracting?

1. Working mode: getting work done using windows that you see
              2. Switching mode: press the <super> key and you can manage windows, desktops, apps or start typing an app name to launch a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by tuuker View Post
                It's up to your distro to allow installing only the components you want:
                • Akonadi - this is the backend for the PIM suite. If you don't want it don't install the KDE-PIM apps
                • Nopomuk/Baloo - In Gentoo this can be completely removed by setting USE=-semantic-desktop. It is also easy to disable at runtime.
                • Mysql - Akonadi has multiple backends and for several releases the default one has been switched from Mysql to Sqlite. The only KDE app that I know needs Mysql to do anything usefull is Amarok. And that is not part of the official bundle of KDE apps.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  Nepomuk has never been in Frameworks 5.
                  And Akonadi is neither in Plasma 5 nor Frameworks 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
                    Mysql - Akonadi has multiple backends and for several releases the default one has been switched from Mysql to Sqlite.
                    Yes and no.
                    Yes, it has multiple backends, no, SQLite is not the default on upstream.
                    Distributors might have changed the code to have a different default though, but more likely switching to PostgreSQL rather than SQlite

Cheers,
                    _

Comment

Working...
                    X