Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 5.4 Officially Released

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5.4 Officially Released

The latest monthly update to the KDE Frameworks libraries are now available. KDE Frameworks 5.4 continues adding on new functionality and fixes to these KDE add-on components used to form the next-generation KDE desktop experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Using on Windows

Does anyone know of any instructions for using/compiling on Windows? Many of the libraries in Framework 5 are supposedly compatible with Windows but the only instructions I've found are for setting up and compiling under Linux. I have some internal projects at work some of the libraries would be useful for, but it hasn't been important enough for me to have taken the time to try and figure it out on my own yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DeusInvictus View Post
      Does anyone know of any instructions for using/compiling on Windows? Many of the libraries in Framework 5 are supposedly compatible with Windows but the only instructions I've found are for setting up and compiling under Linux. I have some internal projects at work some of the libraries would be useful for, but it hasn't been important enough for me to have taken the time to try and figure it out on my own yet.
      The guys in the #kde-windows IRC channel or in the KDE Windows Mailing List will likely be so kind to help you. I think it would be a win-win situation if you ask them questions, they give you answers, and you give back documentation.

Comment

I haven't tried there yet, thanks for the tip.

Comment

5.4 already?

5.4 already!?!

Seems like only a few weeks since 5.0 was released and Plasma is already on 5.4!

I wasn't expecting KDE 6 for another 4/5 years or so but looks like we may see KDE 6 by summer at this rate!

To me it seems a bit too soon for Plasma to be at 5.4 before we even have stable(ish) K5 releases of dolphin, konsole etc.

KDE has become the Chrome of dot releases!

Comment

s/Plasma/Frameworks

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
              5.4 already!?!

Seems like only a few weeks since 5.0 was released and Plasma is already on 5.4!

I wasn't expecting KDE 6 for another 4/5 years or so but looks like we may see KDE 6 by summer at this rate!

To me it seems a bit too soon for Plasma to be at 5.4 before we even have stable(ish) K5 releases of dolphin, konsole etc.

There is a new release of frameworks (the libraries used by the applications) every month so that bugfixes small new features can be
              used by the applications as soon as possible. I guess it won't go to 6.0 after 5.9, instead increasing the version number to 5.10
              There is no need to break binary compatibility so early.

Comment

5.4 already!?!

If you look at Firefox or Chrome, the new release schedule has really mproved their progress even though e.g. Firefox was based on C and GTK stuff. KDE is the poster child of C++ so I expect that they can speed a lot the progress using the static power of C++ and Qt. Besides KDE4 is becoming old. I remember starting with KDE2. then KDE until 3.5.10 and soon switched to KDE 4.1. I've probably spend more time with KDE4 than any other version. It's really time for KDE5 before the frameworks hit 5.10. By then some are probably already using the KDE6 alfas.

Comment

5.4 already!?!

Plasma is on 5.1 which was released mid-October. Frameworks is the libraries made by KDE. The desktop, libraries, and the apps have different schedules. However, most of the most famous KDE apps release together to ease the burden on distro maintainers, promo guys, and so the apps actually have a chance to make the front page of sites like Phoronix.

Comment

Does this make it a good time to jump to KDEF 5?
                    Or should we still wait on?

I remember jumping to KDE 4.0, and I do not want to get the same experience with 5, that's why I'm still waiting...

Comment

Working...
                    X