Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey Hess Resigns From Debian, Unhappy With How It's Changed

Phoronix: Joey Hess Resgins From Debian, Unhappy With How It's Changed

Joey Hess is now distancing himself from the Debian project as he resigns from his roles after being involved with Debian since 1996. In his parting remarks, Joey says his biggest regret over the past eighteen years is not speaking out against the Debian constitution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It took him 18 years to See the Forrest for the Trees? Come on! The same toxic constitutions are in all Linux Distros. You accept it and participate, or you accept it and use the software [and don't directly participate] or you move on.

I don't participate but until FreeBSD gets some of its GPGPU infrastructure more current I'll continue to use Linux for the support of professional engineering software [non-GPL].

Comment

unfortunately his specific concerns with the constitution aren't detailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        The same toxic constitutions are in all Linux Distros.
        Marc Driftmeyer, really WTF you talkin' about Anti GPL story or what?

Comment

It took him 18 years to See the Forrest for the Trees? Come on! The same toxic constitutions are in all Linux Distros. You accept it and participate, or you accept it and use the software [and don't directly participate] or you move on.

I don't participate but until FreeBSD gets some of its GPGPU infrastructure more current I'll continue to use Linux for the support of professional engineering software [non-GPL].

Listen, you say some anomalous things friend!!! You will go to BSD from Linux??? Very unusual things, is there anyone else in the world like that?

Comment

It took him 18 years to See the Forrest for the Trees? Come on! The same toxic constitutions are in all Linux Distros. .
            Nop. Read again:

Comment

WTF is he talking about?

Comment

Well, it's clear the constitution Debian has has been manipulated to disregard the opinion or vote of some of the members. It's brought some needless conflict and while I don't think this type of infrastructure is a good idea for a project in general, I'd argue more towards the people being the problem rather than the constitution.

However, since no details are provided and I don't really like Debian (only as a matter of opinion as it provides little towards my very specific goals), I have no clue what the circumstance maybe. Take with a grain of salt.

Comment

It looks like he has a problem with how Debian is steered. He seems to dislike the use of "political bugs" and endless bureaucratic games that especially Ian Jackson likes to play.

Jackson is at the moment making a lot of proposals, and by claiming they are just clarification of the the original systemd ctte decision, he proposes votes that are overriding developer decisions. So in effect he is tricking the ctte to become a top down leadership, which it was never meant to be.

The ctte was meant to only to be involved when developers no longer can agree, but with the latest Ian Jackson proposal and vote:

this is no longer the case. Now the ctte is making developer overruling top down decisions without any developer asking for the ctte to interfere, or without any developer disagreement and with almost no voting/discussion period. Ian Jackson's proposal is innocently disguised as a "clarification" of an existing decision in order to circumvent the fact that no developer have asked for such a ctte decision.

Here is what Joey Hess wrote about the above ctte decision:

So too much politics involving lots of complicated rules made by people with endless time for creating proposals and play legalese games with a complicated constitution. The end result is that Debian developers are being top down steered by a certain faction of political game shysters.

Expect an endless amount of "political bugs" planted in the Debian bug tracker, that will allow Ian Jackson and his party to harass Debian developers, hitting them in the head with a barrage of his "proposals" and ctte decisions. His GR proposal is the ultimate top down steering tool to force Debian developers to do what he demands. Really not fun for voluntary developers to be ordered around and do things they may not believe in.

(edit: wrong citation)

Comment

Working...
                  X