Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.2 Is Coming Forward With Many Changes

Phoronix: Git 2.2 Is Coming Forward With Many Changes

The Git 2.2.0 release candidate 1 is now available as this latest big update to Git stabilizes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"git help everyday" seems like a good idea!

Comment

Windows support is subpar

You are downloading version 1.9.4 of Git for the Windows platform. This is the most recent maintained build for this platform
      Is it so hard to compile the latest version for all platforms?

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        Is it so hard to compile the latest version for all platforms?
        YES IT IS. Windows is the only OS that sucks really hard and is THE special case. You have the way every single OS in the world does work, and you have the special Case windows.

So you need a windows pc/installation with a either stolen copy of visual studio or have to buy it, and compile under it. And you most likely dont have to recompile only your software you can just do compile all the depencies too or include it in a static build.

Then you have to make a installer also a windows only problem. Its a nightmare. Windows support is really hard (expensive) to do.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          YES IT IS. Windows is the only OS that sucks really hard and is THE special case. You have the way every single OS in the world does work, and you have the special Case windows.

So you need a windows pc/installation with a either stolen copy of visual studio or have to buy it, and compile under it. And you most likely dont have to recompile only your software you can just do compile all the depencies too or include it in a static build.

Then you have to make a installer also a windows only problem. Its a nightmare. Windows support is really hard (expensive) to do.
          Are you kidding? You can compile Windows programs under Linux using mingw64 (which comes prepackaged in several Linux distributions). If they don't do it, it's because they are lazy. Period. And no, I'm not talking about MY copy of GIT, I can compile it easily, I'm talking about making it available for the average Windows user.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            Are you kidding? You can compile Windows programs under Linux using mingw64 (which comes prepackaged in several Linux distributions). If they don't do it, it's because they are lazy. Period. And no, I'm not talking about MY copy of GIT, I can compile it easily, I'm talking about making it available for the average Windows user.
            Using mingw64 is like using VirtualBox. The best option is to actually use Windows to compile Windows stuff.

Yes, Windows has its own everything, even its own "main" function and the horrible win32 api, which like anything else is meant to isolate devs into windows-only solutions and make porting to other OSes as expensive as possible. But in some cases, like Blender, git, make - it works the other way aroud, and the more market share M$ loses the more M$ is gonna fall into its own trap.
            Last edited by mark45; 08 November 2014, 01:49 PM.

Comment

So you need a windows pc/installation with a either stolen copy of visual studio or have to buy it.
              Search for the "express" version of Visual Studio, it's free and has less features, the cocaine tactic, they give you a little for free to get you hooked.

Comment

Yeah, this is so wrong on so many levels...
                Visual studio express is FREE.
                If you don't want to use VS, then, as was mentioned, you could use a cross-compiler, and you can even create a installer as well all on a linux system for windows.

Something else is at play, and you would have to ask the git devs what the issue is, and why they stopped at 1.9.4.
                As also was mentioned, there are other builds of the latest git on windows, so, why not 'officially'?

Comment

Originally posted by vortex View Post
                  Yeah, this is so wrong on so many levels...
                  Visual studio express is FREE.
                  If you don't want to use VS, then, as was mentioned, you could use a cross-compiler, and you can even create a installer as well all on a linux system for windows.

Something else is at play, and you would have to ask the git devs what the issue is, and why they stopped at 1.9.4.
                  As also was mentioned, there are other builds of the latest git on windows, so, why not 'officially'?
                  You know, Git is the Linux kernel version control tool. It is used mainly in OpenSource projects, and if windows users want to use it, they at least should be gratefull it is ported to their retarded platform. If they are so retarded that they can't compile it themselves, then they can use SVN, source save, or just f*** themselves. On my OS of choice, installation of the latest Git is one liner: pacman -S git

Comment

I had my experince with trying to port my python app with some pyrex shit, and you then find often only python-verison-2.5-libX and only python-version2.7-libY and then u have to crawl and compile or package this versions on your own.

Windows is a dependency hell, because there is no package manager, then you have to somehow static build it, and have to know 1000 things I could care less for the least important os.

Yes thats not pure C stuff, but there are similar problems. I dont care to invest time to check every 10 soltuions to get a binary in windows, even making a exe out of python code is also hard to do or at least different then in linxu and thats enough.

you just cant distultis command (forgot the name) build_exe like you would do it for rpm and deb, so its unnessasary complex, its different than the 1000 other oses that have more or less the same design and thats a pain in the ass.

Comment

Working...
                    X