Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Blink WebKit Engine Fork Is Doing Great

Phoronix: Google's Blink WebKit Engine Fork Is Doing Great

BlinkOn3 took place this past week in Mountain View as the latest conference focused on Blink, Google's web rendering/layout engine fork of WebKit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Chrome however doesn't do it great in my opinion

Personally I'm done with Chrome and Chromium, it lags as hell when I try to use it on my Ubuntu Desktop computer. I'm also thinking that Nvidia has something to do with it because when I disable Hardware Acceleration in Chrome most problems are gone. Maybe Blink has something to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Allard View Post
      Personally I'm done with Chrome and Chromium, it lags as hell when I try to use it on my Ubuntu Desktop computer. I'm also thinking that Nvidia has something to do with it because when I disable Hardware Acceleration in Chrome most problems are gone. Maybe Blink has something to do with it?
      I think you're placing the blame on the browser for driver problems. In my experience, the Nvidia driver doesn't handle concurrent OpenGL usage from multiple applications well. For example, the browser can become nearly unusable when an OpenGL game is running. That also applies to a compositor using OpenGL while the applications are using it internally.

This is why Chromium only supports video acceleration in a build for ChromeOS but not regular Linux distributions. They know the browser is going to get flack for driver bugs and the only solution is the coarse blacklist / whitelist system leaving many users with no hardware acceleration (despite it working fine with up-to-date drivers / software).

Comment

Originally posted by strcat View Post
        I think you're placing the blame on the browser for driver problems. In my experience, the Nvidia driver doesn't handle concurrent OpenGL usage from multiple applications well. For example, the browser can become nearly unusable when an OpenGL game is running. That also applies to a compositor using OpenGL while the applications are using it internally.
        Agreed. Chrome has been very zippy on Ubuntu 4.04 and 4.10 on my system with Intel graphics, but I haven't tried it recently with Nvidia.

One more thing to be sure to do with Chrome is to use Adblock and set your plug-ins on click-to-play - I've noticed Chrome gets bogged easily if you let all the ads and auto-run flash videos through. And if you really want to speed things up, use the "Block image" extension and try the web without all the images.

Comment

Originally posted by Allard View Post
          Firefox has issues with my nvidia chip as well. There are always issues like that. A few years ago I remember certain javascript-heavy websites (such as launchpad) would absolutely cream firefox (and only firefox) - stuttered like hell when scrolling.

So I'd probably agree about the driver thing.

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
            Firefox has issues with my nvidia chip as well. There are always issues like that. A few years ago I remember certain javascript-heavy websites (such as launchpad) would absolutely cream firefox (and only firefox) - stuttered like hell when scrolling.

So I'd probably agree about the driver thing.
            No, that's a "Firefox thing". http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152295

Comment

With blink they have introduced new ways to leak memory and the speed of memory fragmentation has increased.
              If I leave my chromebook unattended on a meta-refresh window, I will come back to a clean screen.
              Last time I was browsing through the chrome store on my chromebook, and found an application with a description that made chrome crash. I have checked it with friends, and they all got there chrome crashed with that specific url.
              Googles solution was to remove the app... But the page was good with firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                Agreed. Chrome has been very zippy on Ubuntu 4.04 and 4.10 on my system with Intel graphics, but I haven't tried it recently with Nvidia.

One more thing to be sure to do with Chrome is to use Adblock and set your plug-ins on click-to-play - I've noticed Chrome gets bogged easily if you let all the ads and auto-run flash videos through. And if you really want to speed things up, use the "Block image" extension and try the web without all the images.
                BTW, ?Block is nicer than Adblock. It's faster, lighter and zaps more of the requests to load advertisements rather than just hiding them.

Comment

XSLT support is being removed?

Comment

Originally posted by strcat View Post
                    BTW, ?Block is nicer than Adblock. It's faster, lighter and zaps more of the requests to load advertisements rather than just hiding them.
                    Hey - thanks for that! I hadn't heard of uBlock earlier - working great!

Comment

Working...
                    X