Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMandriva Lx Is Switching To Clang By Default

Phoronix: OpenMandriva Lx Is Switching To Clang By Default

While OS X has switched to LLVM's Clang as the default C/C++ compiler and FreeBSD and other BSD distributions have followed in switching to Clang instead of GCC due to its more permissive license, OpenMandriva Lx is one of the first notable Linux distributions set to switch to Clang by default with its next release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wouldn't say clang is progressing more quickly. It was playing catch-up. (Still is in some areas.) There's still plenty of innovation going on in GCC land, and will be interesting to see how they both develop going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: OpenMandriva Lx Is Switching To Clang By Default

While OS X has switched to LLVM's Clang as the default C/C++ compiler and FreeBSD and other BSD distributions have followed in switching to Clang instead of GCC due to its more permissive license, OpenMandriva Lx is one of the first notable Linux distributions set to switch to Clang by default with its next release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgzMzI
      And what about their kernel ?

Comment

My guess would be they still build glibc and the kernel with gcc

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
          This might be the push it takes to get the Linux kernel fully compatible with llvm, libC and Clang.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
            That silly 5-minute limit...

anyway, an alternative will be them using patched kernels specially made to play nice with LLVM and Clang: http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page

Comment

Reactions

"I told you so" - esr
              "Very Disappointed" - rms
              "Too horny to speak at this time" - endman

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
                I wouldn't say clang is progressing more quickly. It was playing catch-up. (Still is in some areas.) There's still plenty of innovation going on in GCC land, and will be interesting to see how they both develop going forward.
                What innovation?

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
                  I wouldn't say clang is progressing more quickly. It was playing catch-up. (Still is in some areas.)
                  And clang/LLVM is leading in other areas and apparently these are more important to the OpenMandriva people.

Comment

The only thing going for clang is the extra static analysis, and faster compile times. Its code generation is significantly inferior, with not only significantly slower binaries, but also significantly buggier binaries. Oh, and I love how the clang guys keep on comparing their stats to GCC 4.2, which is downright ancient. And its non-copyleft licence essentially means that it can be subverted (and is currently being subverted by Apple). GPL is really the only way to protect the code in a hostile copyright situation, with companies like Apple, Microsoft, Fraunhoffer, Disney, etc... around, whom whould like nothing more than to take all our freedoms away.

Comment

Working...
                    X