Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 5 Is Compiling Faster, But Still Falls Short Of Clang

Phoronix: GCC 5 Is Compiling Faster, But Still Falls Short Of Clang

On Saturday I posted some LLVM Clang vs. GCC benchmark results of the packages found in Fedora 21 on an Intel Xeon system, but how does the performance compare if building the latest snapshot of GCC 5? Fortunately, I have some interesting GCC 5.0 benchmarks to make this Sunday morning interesting for compiler fans...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone know what happens with llvm.org ? Does not work few (2?) days now for me

Comment

I wish you talk more about security, clean code, debug enhancements on Clang over optimizations and benchmark comparing with GCC. The optimizations algorithm's is one *little* and no much important part of the compilers.
      Clang is better for many reasons, it's beyond optimizations.

Comment

Clang still doesn't produce consistently correct code on Linux though. Just look at Unreal Engine 4 - it uses Clang (because they already were using it on MacOSX so they just kept it for Linux as well) and it requires a specific version (3.3) to produce working binaries. The same code compiled with Clang 3.4 and 3.5 will just crash.

Comment

Originally posted by ileonte View Post
          Clang still doesn't produce consistently correct code on Linux though. Just look at Unreal Engine 4 - it uses Clang (because they already were using it on MacOSX so they just kept it for Linux as well) and it requires a specific version (3.3) to produce working binaries. The same code compiled with Clang 3.4 and 3.5 will just crash.
          unrealengine wiki says you need 3.3 or 3.5.

Comment

i hope we see clan windows support in a short time ... i want to get rid of mingw

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
              unrealengine wiki says you need 3.3 or 3.5.
              I'm pretty sure people have reported crashes with 3.5, you can check the IRC channel logs if you really want more info.

Comment

Originally posted by ileonte View Post
                The same code compiled with Clang 3.4 and 3.5 will just crash.
                GCC has similar problems from time to time. For example GCC 4.9.0 was unusable for me and many other projects (luxrender, ...). Compilation issues and crashing binaries.

Comment

Isn't it more important how fast the compiled binaries are?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Anyone know what happens with llvm.org ? Does not work few (2?) days now for me

Just FYI,

Folks are aware and there is nothing we can do. There appears to be a
                    network issue in the building where the server is currently located. As
                    soon as it is resolved thing should come back up, but no word yet on when
                    to expect that.

Comment

Working...
                    X