Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Launches Firefox Developer Edition

Phoronix: Mozilla Launches Firefox Developer Edition

For the past week we've been teased by Mozilla launching a new web browser for developers and today they've lifted the lid on Firefox Developer Edition...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

WebApp developement is cool, but I expect the next release to add specific tools to develop browser addons.

Comment

That's how PR compains work: do almost nothing to something and rename it.

Comment

So this is a new name for firefox's unstable development branch, just with the special new feature of being able to run simultaneously with regular firefox and on a separate profile.

Comment

Have to agree with the general sentiment here: was expecting something more than aurora with a theme and some extra FF OS tools.

Comment

I feel like people didn't read the Mozilla article...
            It's not just a re-skinned Firefox Aurora (alpha), it's much more than that. Have you SEEN the new WebIDE? You can debug a ton of browsers that AREN'T FIREFOX from there! (e.g. Chrome Desktop, Chrome Android, iOS Safari, etc etc). The ability to do this is actually an extension on top of the normal WebIDE that can be found in Aurora/Nightly releases, and that probably won't ever really make it there (because why would it?).

I say download it and play around with it yourself. I did, and I thought it was pretty neat.

Comment

Seems rather stupid.
              This WebIDE should just be a add-on that can be downloaded like any other Firefox add-on and installed on the normal Firefox web browser.

Also, us developers were already running Nightly builds.
              At least the ones of us worth our salt.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Seems rather stupid.
                This WebIDE should just be a add-on (OR PLUGIN) that can be downloaded like any other Firefox add-on and installed on the normal Firefox web browser.
                Exactly. That's why I dislike personally those who work in PR departments, their job and attitude is to act like alchemists brewing their vaporware instead of learning to do the real thing (chemistry).

Comment

Working...
                X