Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Announces The Hack Transpiler

Phoronix: Facebook Announces The Hack Transpiler

Facebook today announced the Hack Transpiler as a tool to encourage the growth of their Hack programming language by allowing Hack code-bases to be converted back into legitimate PHP5 for use on platforms where Facebook's HHVM isn't available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PHP was great two decades ago. It was great compared to writing CGI scripts in C, sh, Tcl, or Perl.

But now it is dated. It got much better since 5.3 with support for namespaces and closures.
    I am looking forward to PHP 7 (they will skip version 6).

But is pretty shitty too. Basically its just a collection of random libraries thrown together in a bucket. It is a incoherent mess.
    Everything resides in the global namespace.

The interpreter chokes on UTF-8 with BOM (without BOM works fine though) and spits out the headers before it starts to parse your code, which means you cant set the headers and it leads to hard to diagnose bugs.

Functions return weird errors such as -1 or null, instead of throwing exceptions.
    It lacks useful features such as decorators.

I hope PHP 7 adds support for decorators and fixes the UTF-8 support. A better SPL would be great too.

So yeah, PHP is a shitty incoherent language. I am not saying Python or Ruby is any better, they're not.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      PHP was great two decades ago. It was great compared to writing CGI scripts in C, sh, Tcl, or Perl.

But now it is dated. It got much better since 5.3 with support for namespaces and closures.
      I am looking forward to PHP 7 (they will skip version 6).

But is pretty shitty too. Basically its just a collection of random libraries thrown together in a bucket. It is a incoherent mess.
      Everything resides in the global namespace.

The interpreter chokes on UTF-8 with BOM (without BOM works fine though) and spits out the headers before it starts to parse your code, which means you cant set the headers and it leads to hard to diagnose bugs.

Functions return weird errors such as -1 or null, instead of throwing exceptions.
      It lacks useful features such as decorators.

I hope PHP 7 adds support for decorators and fixes the UTF-8 support. A better SPL would be great too.

So yeah, PHP is a shitty incoherent language. I am not saying Python or Ruby is any better, they're not.
      PHP is often the best tool for the job. Cheap labor, lots of libraries and support, cheap hosting. That's pretty much it.

Comment

Working...
      X