No announcement yet.

CS:GO & TF2 Extensively Tested On The Newest Open-Source Radeon Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS:GO & TF2 Extensively Tested On The Newest Open-Source Radeon Linux Driver

Phoronix: CS:GO & TF2 Extensively Tested On The Newest Open-Source Radeon Linux Driver

The latest massive set of Linux test data we have to share with Linux gamers and enthusiasts is a look at Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Team Fortress 2 when using the very newest open-source Radeon graphics driver code. The very latest open-source Radeon driver code tested with these popular Valve Linux games were the Linux 3.18 Git kernel, Mesa 10.4-devel, LLVM 3.6 SVN, and xf86-video-ati 7.5.99. With this bleeding edge code there were sixteen AMD Radeon graphics cards tested from low to high-end and spanning several generations. Beyond looking at the frame-rate results, there's also power consumption, performance-per-Watt, GPU core temperature, and CPU usage to go along with all of these results. Enjoy!

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At least in this bechmark it doesn't seem there is any CPU bottleneck, i.e., CPU usage never goes above ~10%... Do you guys expect frglx to perform better?

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
      At least in this bechmark it doesn't seem there is any CPU bottleneck, i.e., CPU usage never goes above ~10%... Do you guys expect frglx to perform better?
      Fglrx results against the open source driver data will likely be published Friday.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Cool, finally some relatable benchmarks. Thanks Michael.

Comment

Yaaaay! My R290 is finally worth my money Wohooooo! \o/

Thank you everybody at AMD! I loooove youuuuuu!

Comment

Hey Michael, I'm really liking the benchmarks run and the different results included (performance per watt, cpu usage).

Also, for those reading this from the AMD team, great work on the driver! It's significantly smoother running a game in this than fglrx.

Comment

Thank you

The Open Source AMD drivers have really been shaping up recently. Earlier this year I switched from the closed driver to the Oibaf PPA on my Ubuntu 14.04 system with a HD 7750. Initially there were some problem with LLVM register allocation, but this was solved by the LLVM 3.5 update. Now with Ubuntu 14.10 it seems to just work smoothly out of the box. 2014 has really been the year of AMD open source drivers.
              - Thank you AMD for making nice Open-Source drivers for your GPUs and working to continually improve.
              - Thank you Oibaf for making it early available (when needed).
              - Thank you Ubuntu for bringing it all together.
              - And thank you Michael for making nice benchmarks and showing us how it improves.

Comment

Thanks for listening Michel and did this with llvm 3.6

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
                At least in this bechmark it doesn't seem there is any CPU bottleneck, i.e., CPU usage never goes above ~10%...
                Resolution is big enough, graphics is not at enough low settings... in these cases there should not be CPU bottleneck

Do you guys expect frglx to perform better?
                Different cards generations may show more or less difference in that comparation But yeah generally i believe fglrx should be faster in more demending cases

Comment

Pretty interesting results.

I just installed a R9 290 yesterday. I didn't have much time to play around with it but it's weird how, compared to my old HD 5750, some games perform much worse or didn't perform bad but didn't improve either. Knowing how radeonSI is missing many features compared to r600, I can't say I'm too surprised. So far I can't seem to get HDMI audio to work either, but I'm not sure there are drivers for that yet. I guess in time things will continue to improve.

The nice thing though is Witcher 2 is now playable at pretty much max detail. I turn off depth-of-field (because it actually puts you at a visual disadvantage) and I haven't attempted ubersampling yet but I feel like that isn't even worth trying.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I just installed a R9 290 yesterday. I didn't have much time to play around with it but it's weird how, compared to my old HD 5750, some games perform much worse or didn't perform bad but didn't improve either. Knowing how radeonSI is missing many features compared to r600, I can't say I'm too surprised. ...
                    Which features do you think are missing on radeonSI relative to r600 ?

AFAIK the key for Hawaii is to have very latest SW since there have been a lot of improvements recently.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X