Intel Xeon P-State vs. CPUFreq Scaling Tests Show Some Odd Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Xeon P-State vs. CPUFreq Scaling Tests Show Some Odd Numbers

Phoronix: Intel Xeon P-State vs. CPUFreq Scaling Tests Show Some Odd Numbers

As we've seen a lot of variation in results with different Intel processors when switching between the Intel P-State and CPUFreq scaling drivers and the different governors, here's some tests when using a 16 thread (eight core + HT) Haswell-EP Xeon processor and testing the different CPU frequency scaling settings in Fedora 21...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe Intel will actually get these things working some day.

But with them only making about 500 trillion dollars in pure profit every quarter, I can see how they just have no money in the budget to work on this.

I wonder how frequency scaling governors perform in Windows? Probably flawlessly, no doubt.

Comment

It is weird though. Why would they not get it right if most of the servers which require a lot of power from CPU also are on GNU/Linux machines...

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
        It is weird though. Why would they not get it right if most of the servers which require a lot of power from CPU also are on GNU/Linux machines...
        Because they have a monopoly?

Though I wonder if machines used in those functions even have frequency scaling enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          I wonder how frequency scaling governors perform in Windows? Probably flawlessly, no doubt.
          Remember the news how Win8 was required to get proper performance from Bulldozer? That does not inspire confidence in the Windows cpu governor.

Comment

But with them only making about 500 trillion dollars in pure profit every quarter, I can see how they just have no money in the budget to work on this.
            Exactly! They get nothing right and this is the reason they make only 500 trillion dollars... wait, what?

Comment

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Hint: Scaling governor that works best across different - let alone contradicting workloads (E.g. DB vs. DPI vs. VM workloads), is nearly impossible.
              Add cooling limitations, TDP, BIOS settings [1], throttling and you have a job from hell.

Oh, and from experience, Windows *server* scaling governor on Windows requires a lot of hand tuning by the server manufacturer (E.g. HP, Dell) to get decent performance. And trust me, having a 50K$ server overheat and start throttling is *not* amusing.

But hey, you know best, right?

- Gilboa
              * If you have seen the CPU/Cooling configuration menu in a recent server or workstation you'll know what I mean.
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

There must be a thread timing issue in GCC that is causing that result. It is so dramatic they really need to look into this as it could be a huge performance gain.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                  You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Hint: Scaling governor that works best across different - let alone contradicting workloads (E.g. DB vs. DPI vs. VM workloads), is nearly impossible.
                  Add cooling limitations, TDP, BIOS settings [1], throttling and you have a job from hell.

Oh, and from experience, Windows *server* scaling governor on Windows requires a lot of hand tuning by the server manufacturer (E.g. HP, Dell) to get decent performance. And trust me, having a 50K$ server overheat and start throttling is *not* amusing.

But hey, you know best, right?

- Gilboa
                  * If you have seen the CPU/Cooling configuration menu in a recent server or workstation you'll know what I mean.
                  +1 +1.

Comment

Working...
                  X