Intel Updates Its Linux Graphics Installer For Ubuntu 14.04 & Fedora 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Updates Its Linux Graphics Installer For Ubuntu 14.04 & Fedora 20

Phoronix: Intel Updates Its Linux Graphics Installer For Ubuntu 14.04 & Fedora 20

This week Intel updated its Linux Graphics Installer for Fedora 20 and Ubuntu 14.04, but as usual, it's really nothing too special and doesn't earn my high recommendation as there's better ways for users to be running the latest open-source graphics code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I decided to wait for hardware enablement stacks for 14.04. Sure, they lag behind stable mesa releases by at least 3 and maybe even up to ~9 months, but at least it's well integrated and tested.

I had some good experiences using the oibaf PPA, but nowadays the risk of possible rare regressions in mesa git appears not to be worth it for r600. xorg-edgers, on the other hand, killed my graphics stack some time ago and required manual fiddling on the console to return to vanilla packages.

So? yeah. As long as there's no really good reason for newer mesa packages (like a game that runs too slow and benchmarks show an improvement using latest mesa/X/kernel), I'll stick to hardware enablement stacks. :-)

Comment

IMHO for the majority of plain people, a system upgrade process has to meet the 2 requirements below:

1) Whatever the installation software must be comming from either the hardware manufacturer or the os vendor.

2) The installation procedure should involve strictly GUI with straightforward path to completion.
      Last edited by zoomblab; 13 November 2014, 10:14 AM.

Comment

fedora 20

May I ask for a link to fedora copr repository with newer mesa(>10.1)? I tried googling it, but didnt find anything Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie1234 View Post
          May I ask for a link to fedora copr repository with newer mesa(>10.1)? I tried googling it, but didnt find anything Thanks.
          Why would you need a copr repository? It is already in the regular repo

Comment

So is it best to have both oibaf and xorg-edgers ppa added, or only one at same time? What is the difference between those 2 ppas?

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              Why would you need a copr repository? It is already in the regular repo

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/upda....20140607.fc20

Yeah I have that, but I want the lastest stable mesa (10.3 I think). I know I could just upgrade to fedora 21 which has that version, but even then given that fedora doesnt seem to be releasing major mesa updates I'm gonna run into the same problem sooner or later, so I'm just asking in advance.

Comment

Working...
              X