Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical's Plans For Unity 8 & Mir In Ubuntu 15.04

Phoronix: Canonical's Plans For Unity 8 & Mir In Ubuntu 15.04

Kevin Gunn of Canonical laid out some of Canonical's plans for Unity 8 and Mir for the Ubuntu 15.04 development cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu 15.04 on the desktop will still use Unity 7 with Mir.
    You mean with X11.

Comment

I beleive Mir could take over wayland, in the end Mir would be easier to implement since it is more than a protocol, it will be a working product, while, Gnome and KDE guys have got to implement the wayland protocol from scratch using weston as a reference....

Comment

The decision to support both libinput (Wayland) and Android input style is the right one. It will ensure that a lot of development effort by engines and toolkits on mobile and desktop will be much easier to port to Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
          I beleive Mir could take over wayland, in the end Mir would be easier to implement since it is more than a protocol, it will be a working product, while, Gnome and KDE guys have got to implement the wayland protocol from scratch using weston as a reference....
          I don't see that happening. Gnome, KDE and Enlightenment all have their Wayland compositor work nearly finished. The rest of the WM's could potentially use the new work done to make a libWeston, so that they don't have to write a complete compositor from scratch.

Canonical's Mir for now is a Unity compositor thingie. While the developers have said that they might eventually declare the interfaces stable, they aren't right now. As such, Mir is not in a usable shape to be used by other WM/DE's.

Comment

Great that Mir will re-use libinput instead of NIH and reinvent it.

Though, I would prefer Wayland on Ubuntu instead of Mir.

Comment

Could Mir support GTK 3.14?

Comment

I beleive Mir could take over wayland
                stop abusing drugs

Comment

So, Mir will just support what Wayland does. Next step, Ubuntu switches to Wayland and stops the annoying NIH diversions?

I beleive Mir could take over wayland
                  No way. Canoical simply can't keep up with Wayland global wise and they didn't even plan to position Mir as a universal tool. It's their own tool for their needs. Everyone else will use Wayland and contribute to it, not to Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    stop abusing drugs
                    Well lets see how things go on when you have KDE and Gnome on same install with different Wayland implementations. I just want to see how well it will work with drivers (from one implementation to another, performance wise), and if applications from 1 desktop environment will work correctly on the compositor of another desktop environment, lets wait and see before calling anyone here crazy....

Anyway I find that each camp writing its own compositor is kind of a waste, Xorg may be a mess of code but at least you got a unified solution... And Mir is much closer to a modernized Xorg in terms of development model.

Comment

Working...
                    X