Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 346.16 Beta Adds VP8 Decoding, NVENC, GTK3 & Much More

Phoronix: NVIDIA 346.16 Beta Adds VP8 Decoding, NVENC, GTK3 & Much More

NVIDIA just introduced the 346.xx Linux graphics driver series with the introduction of the 346.16 beta driver, and it's a big freaking update! New features for users of the proprietary NVIDIA Linux graphics driver!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My GTX 980 under Fedora 21 beta has been giving me "no signal" to my monitor for Virtual Consoles, plus when I power on the TV I don't get a signal showing the KDE lock screen unless I Ctrl+Alt+F2,Ctrl+Alt+F1. I hope this driver fixes some of that...

Comment

Sweet, finaly you can query voltage, but I cannot see anything about in the GUI, is this so far only command line? Also cannot find anything about setting TDP power limits though.

Comment

Better FBO performance is great.

NVENC support for GeForce GPUs is also interesting, I hope to see a benchmark in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander View Post
          Sweet, finaly you can query voltage, but I cannot see anything about in the GUI, is this so far only command line? Also cannot find anything about setting TDP power limits though.
          Do you have the Coolbits option set in your xorg.conf?

Comment

Hmm, hope to see benchmarks on the FBO performance. The EGL extensions are exciting, two of those were specifically mentioned in their devtalk as necessary for Wayland support. Hopefuly Wayland on Nvidia is getting close.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
              Do you have the Coolbits option set in your xorg.conf?
              Yeah i have coolbits 16 as per readme in the .../X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

Can overclock with offset and set fan speed but nothing about voltage.

Comment

Why does it still want me to shutdown X11 before install?

What other video driver requires you to shutdown X11 and manage all the shit yourself (install kernel-devel, paint your balls) instead of a nice gui or at least a installer that doesn't expect you to do his job?

Comment

NVENC support is awesome! I tried steam in-home streaming the other day and the experience was terrible: my desktop was software encoding and my laptop was software decoding.

Hope that pretty soon I can have both with hardware encoding/decoding

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    Why does it still want me to shutdown X11 before install?

What other video driver requires you to shutdown X11 and manage all the shit yourself (install kernel-devel, paint your balls) instead of a nice gui or at least a installer that doesn't expect you to do his job?
                    Just switch to Arch. No more hassle installing the newest driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X