Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.31 Still Hacking Away At DirectWrite & Direct2D

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.31 Still Hacking Away At DirectWrite & Direct2D

The latest bi-weekly Wine development release is now out there and it features quite a lot of changes, although some of the big ticket items like Direct3D 10/11 and D3D command stream remain out of sight...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it just me or does wine feel very duct-taped together? I feel like there must be something they're not doing right, because the amount of bugfixes and not-platinum-rated software for each release seems a little too high considering how long it's been out. I'm not complaining - I think it's great they're still trying. I just wonder if there's something big they missed out on and now they're taking the hard way out, unknowingly.

Comment

Basically, you're wrong. The ducttaping era is in the past. The developers have moved to a test driven development model, thus the slowness. Nevertheless i see it as a step forward, as the quality of code has improved dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by arabek View Post
        Basically, you're wrong. The ducttaping era is in the past. The developers have moved to a test driven development model, thus the slowness. Nevertheless i see it as a step forward, as the quality of code has improved dramatically.
        Same feeling here. You can now use the dev (1.7) versions without expecting everything to break every update, which certainly wasn't the case before.

Comment

if they dont continue working on DX10, there will be soon no games for windows that u can play anymore in wine...

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
            if they dont continue working on DX10, there will be soon no games for windows that u can play anymore in wine...
            You can always run legacy programs using Wine ? and that is probably the most useful thing.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Is it just me or does wine feel very duct-taped together? I feel like there must be something they're not doing right, because the amount of bugfixes and not-platinum-rated software for each release seems a little too high considering how long it's been out. I'm not complaining - I think it's great they're still trying. I just wonder if there's something big they missed out on and now they're taking the hard way out, unknowingly.
              Because Codeweavers has to make money somehow, for example that's why D3D Command Stream is a default in Crossover for some time now while under Wine it's "under heavy development".

Wine people should really embrace GalliumNine and try to bring it to all drivers (it can be used by proprietary drivers too) instead of trying to fix compabilities with almost obsolote API (no one is developing stuff in D3D9 anymore, so it's only for legacy stuff).

Comment

DirectX in Wine

What's weird is how supposidly Direct3D 10 is 82% implemented, yet virtually no DX10 games work. Now we are seeing new games rely soley on DX 11, which is only 2% implemented wine Wine.

Hopefully we'll see some DX10 games, such as Just Cause 2 work soon.

As far as DX11 support goes, being a low priority is understandable. I think Wine and Mesa driver development status go hand in hand. I mean Direct3D 11 supports advanced features like Tessellation, which many new games utilize, yet none of the Mesa driver have full OpenGL 4.x spec support that is needed for that funcitonality. We can't expect Wine to support advanced D3D 11 features in it's Direct3D to OpenGL translation layer when the OpenGL driver stack on Linux itself isn't even at parity with Direct3D 11 yet. The proprietary Linux drivers are at OpenGL 4.x parity but it would be unwise to base Wine development from that.

https://www.winehq.org/winapi_stats

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  What's weird is how supposidly Direct3D 10 is 82% implemented, yet virtually no DX10 games work. Now we are seeing new games rely soley on DX 11, which is only 2% implemented wine Wine.

Hopefully we'll see some DX10 games, such as Just Cause 2 work soon.

As far as DX11 support goes, being a low priority is understandable. I think Wine and Mesa driver development status go hand in hand. I mean Direct3D 11 supports advanced features like Tessellation, which many new games utilize, yet none of the Mesa driver have full OpenGL 4.x spec support that is needed for that funcitonality. We can't expect Wine to support advanced D3D 11 features in it's Direct3D to OpenGL translation layer when the OpenGL driver stack on Linux itself isn't even at parity with Direct3D 11 yet. The proprietary Linux drivers are at OpenGL 4.x parity but it would be unwise to base Wine development from that.

https://www.winehq.org/winapi_stats
                  What's the point of dx10? Most games support either dx9 or dx11 (every new game these days) with only a handful of older titles support dx10, which is always supported among other versions (there are no dx10 only games).

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
                    What's the point of dx10? Most games support either dx9 or dx11 (every new game these days) with only a handful of older titles support dx10, which is always supported among other versions (there are no dx10 only games).
                    Beyond Earth is DX11 only for Windows?
                    Hi

Comment

Working...
                    X