Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over-Volting Your GPU With The New NVIDIA Linux Driver

Phoronix: Over-Volting Your GPU With The New NVIDIA Linux Driver

One of the features introduced with this week's NVIDIA 346 Beta Linux graphics driver was the ability for the end-user to manipulate the graphics core voltage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Woohoo finally i can GPU OC via software under linux
    on the other had i can't OC any higher, as i flashed my GPU bios to OC it and without a hard-mod this is as good as it gets
    only drawback is nouveau is unstable on it now

Comment

Finally, we can have 983 fps instead of just 769 in all the linux games with low system requirements...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Finally, we can have 983 fps instead of just 769 in all the linux games with low system requirements...
        Or you can play some other games that require the hardware:
        Metro LL or Redux when it launches.
        Unigine Benchmarks/Games.
        Unreal 4 Demos/Unreal Tournament 4
        Unreal 3 Games (Painkiller HD etc)
        Serious Sam 3: BFE

There are probably many more that benefit from faster GPU that are also heavy.

My 970 with baseclock on ~1100MHz overclocks itself to ~1500 with (nVidia Boost 2) was able to squeze more out ~1600 by giving it an offset and that with stock voltage. Memory overclocked from 7000MHz to 7800 aswell without any issues or voltage settings.

This gave about 300p in Unigine Heaven. About ~10-15fps more when running with extreme hd profile. Though issue with 900 series card is that they have a TDP limit (PowerLimit) that locks the card TDP usage and starts to throttle it its reached. So overclocking a 900 series card any noticeable you need to modify it's BIOS to add a higher TDP limit and thus be able to raise voltage without the issue of throttling.

On Windows with MSI Afterburner you can play around with a TDP slider but Mostly you can only give it ?10% or something depending on the card BIOS file. Im hoping nVidia will also implement this into their driver.

But in the end if you want overclock you need to modify BIOS of the card to have a higher range of voltage and TDP limit. The 970 card has possibilities since its overclock limit currently is only the TDP limit, even on 1600MHz my card was running at 63 Celsius and fanspeed at 40% so there is headroom.

Comment

If you are reading this in the future, see:
          I would like to boost the Core frequency, shader clock, and memory clock on an eVGA GTX 480 I have in my development box running 10.04. Is it possible to overclock a recent graphics card from within

Comment

Does this also work for undervolting?
            Might be interesting for Folding or Mining applications, to conserve more power.

Comment

Working...
            X