Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fifth: A New Web Browser Based On WebKitFLTK

Phoronix: Fifth: A New Web Browser Based On WebKitFLTK

A developer saddened by the poor state of the Opera web-browser on Linux has taken to writing his open-source web browser that carries the best features from Opera...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I last used Opera full-time circa 2000 on a Cyrix 166 by Compaq. It worked well, was fast and had an option right there on the UI to disable pictures, enable only cached pictures and all on. Was a godsend for me out on the farm on a 33.6 diddle-up. Didn't seem to be there my last trial run in 2012.

Curiously, any one know of a similar option for FF?
    Hi

Comment

- stance for modern misfeatures

there are some features of the modern web that degrade the
      experience, and in some cases expose a huge attack surface.
      Webgl, webcl, plugins, audio and video are among these. These
      are explicitly not supported, or as in the case of video,
      replaced with better alternatives: Download and stream buttons.
      ah, really? I dont think so.
      Funny how this guy advertises his missing stuff with "its not a bug its a feature!", same goes for his quote:
      The web is for sites, not apps
      .. are you kidding me?
      Last edited by gotwig; 15 November 2014, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Find out more about this new Linux web browser via the release announcement and SourceForge project site.
        SourceForge? LOL, nope nope nope.

Comment

Opera

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          I last used Opera full-time circa 2000 on a Cyrix 166 by Compaq. It worked well, was fast and had an option right there on the UI to disable pictures, enable only cached pictures and all on. Was a godsend for me out on the farm on a 33.6 diddle-up. Didn't seem to be there my last trial run in 2012.

Curiously, any one know of a similar option for FF?
          Is Nosript what you are looking for? http://noscript.net/ Awesome free software. Not exactly user friendly but neither is Linux. Just look at the privacy section on FF addons site. Also try Ghostery or Disconnect. Yes Opera sucks on Linux but is nice on OSX Yosemite.

Comment

Good for him on writing a solution to a problem that he doesn't like.

However, fltk is quite possibly the most hilariously bad choice of gui toolkit he could have used.

But that doesn't matter! There are bound to be like-minded people that want a browser like this. And it's great that it'll serve them.

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
              Good for him on writing a solution to a problem that he doesn't like.

However, fltk is quite possibly the most hilariously bad choice of gui toolkit he could have used.

But that doesn't matter! There are bound to be like-minded people that want a browser like this. And it's great that it'll serve them.
              Yeah I think that's why the screen shots of the project site look so win95?

Comment

Sure sounds interesting to me...
                -Download/Stream works for youtube, if the screenshots can be trusted.
                I've had no luck viewing youtube except via youtube-dl (I use Alpine Linux, so flash won't work, gnash doesn't compile, etc.)
                -I have a couple low end laptops, and nothing fast.
                -I've frequently wished for something that did less downloading and just gave me the text.
                -FLTK is much smaller than the alternatives.

It's developed on github with releases at sourceforge.

But I do have to say that the numbers he's using for RAM seem to be virtual memory - shared libs, which is arbitrary and garbage unless you turned off overcommit.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                  Yeah I think that's why the screen shots of the project site look so win95?
                  It reminds me of old opera 9.x

I like it and I'd probably use it on my netbook if it would play HTML5 video... I don't care so much about webGL yet but HTML5 video is a must have.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
                    -Download/Stream works for youtube, if the screenshots can be trusted.
                    If by "works", you mean it superimposes a download button over where the video should be. Doesn't mean the button actually does anything yet...

Comment

Working...
                    X