Fedora Will Begin Upgrading The X.Org Server As A Distribution Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Will Begin Upgrading The X.Org Server As A Distribution Update

Phoronix: Fedora Will Begin Upgrading The X.Org Server As A Distribution Update

While Fedora is working to migrate over to Wayland by default, the X.Org Server won't disappear anytime soon for legacy X11 application support and other purposes. With Fedora 21 and going forward, Fedora is likely to be getting in-place X.Org Server updates upon new releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i like the idea of F21 getting 1.17.1, but does this mean Fedora is going to be a somewhat of a Rolling kinda release?

does this also mean Mesa 10.4 will also get to F21?

Comment

yes

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      i like the idea of F21 getting 1.17.1, but does this mean Fedora is going to be a somewhat of a Rolling kinda release?

does this also mean Mesa 10.4 will also get to F21?
      they do the same for f20

Comment

That sounds like a great thing really. And I'm using the nvidia proprietary drivers on my main desktop. But my laptop would totally benefit from the upgrade to a newer Xorg server + mesa. On my amd graphics card, simply the mesa upgrade from 9.2 to 10.1 made wonders to the overall performance and stability. Xorg/mesa/wayland are moving really fast (imho in the right direction) to be kept behind for months in a distribution like fedora. As for the proprietary drivers, well... I guess the dependencies would block the Xorg upgrade. For those users the new Xorg features don't usually matter much anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
          they do the same for f20
          For F20 it was only the mesa package updated, not Xorg. And for the mesa update, it was really needed as F20 with mesa 9.2 was getting really outdated (gfx drivers-wise).

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
            but does this mean Fedora is going to be a somewhat of a Rolling kinda release?
            Its probably incorrect TO call it a Rolling Release or even a partial rolling release, as there are still separate repo's and releases and those do get turned off eventually. BUT... its more rolling than say Ubuntu
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by kmare View Post
              F20 with mesa 9.2 was getting really outdated (gfx drivers-wise).
              f20 had 10.1 since february. then they waited for 10.3.2 though, which prompted me to upgrade to f21 beta

Comment

Web browsers, the kernel and some major software like LibreOffice are already ?rolling release? in Fedora. In Ubuntu, only Web browsers are.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  f20 had 10.1 since february. then they waited for 10.3.2 though, which prompted me to upgrade to f21 beta
                  f20 just got mesa 10.3.3 a few hours ago (updates-testing).

Comment

Working...
                  X