Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEMO-UX Shell Is A Futuristic, Multi-User Wayland Experience

Phoronix: NEMO-UX Shell Is A Futuristic, Multi-User Wayland Experience

Demonstrated at the ACM Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces (ACM ITS) event in Dresden, Germany the past few deays was the "NEMOSHELL" that looks like a futuristic user experience supported by Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From a technnical PoV, in special when compared with other Touch interfaces, this is a very interesting project, i even dare to say, seems to be the BEST interface for a desktop based in Touch and not in keyboard and mouse (no matter they say that supports mouse and keyboard i pretty much believe that the experience would be inferior to , say, XFCE, when using Mouse + Keyboard).

However, trolling aside, i prefer a....Windows XP desktop/interface style (this is why i like so much XFCE that can be easely configured to look like it) with the windows PERFECTLY aligned 8besides other potential issues), so, i wouldn't use it myself.

Comment

All I want is GNOME Flashback session with gnome-panel running on Wayland.

Comment

Confusing name, considering there is already a mobile Nemo OS with its own UX: https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Nemo

Comment

Seems fancy but is definitely limited in terms of practicality. I'm surprised how responsive it is though.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Me too. This NEMO-UX shell is a Hollywood-hacker-style piece of shit.

Comment

I think this could have a potentially exciting use case, but it's not what you might think. If touch screen displays continue to get cheaper, this could be very useful in order to run a collaborative environment in, say, a school computer lab or an office. You could still have a keyboard or some touch screen below the monitor in front of you, but everyone would be running the same desktop on a more powerful machine. Or, you could even imagine a screen that spans an entire wall or table.

Of course, we already have something like this with multi-seat systems, so it's kind of redundant, but it could become more useful and practical if the devices become cheaper.

Still, I doubt it would ever give significant enough advantages to catch on. I think augmented reality is more likely to catch on than plastering the walls with interfaces. I'd rather just share a fake representation with my friends through glasses or something.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                Me too. This NEMO-UX shell is a Hollywood-hacker-style piece of shit.
                Well...they *did* said that were inspired by Sci-fi so , no surprises there :")

Nevertheless, it was impressive from a tech PoV, very fluid and all...but like i said, i prefer traditional interfaces and a mouse and keyboard and *very* well aligned windows.

Comment

Use case for tilted windows?

Flashy and all, but why the tilted windows? KDE had the same thing, I don't think anyone ever used that, seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.

Usability wise, this looks awful to me. Especially when compared to an ipad or android tablet.

Comment

naahh

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Debian 7 wheezy and Mate desktop, and we are fine

Comment

Working...
                    X