Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Version Of Civilization: Beyond Earth Still Coming Along

Phoronix: Linux Version Of Civilization: Beyond Earth Still Coming Along

The Linux version of Civilization: Beyond Earth is still in the process of being ported to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What OpenGL support needed ?

I've read that Civ BE graphical engine is the same as Civ5, except it is DirectX 11 only. Does it mean we will need OpenGL 4 support under Linux to play ?
    In this case, I suppose I won't be able to play using the OSS radeon driver anymore....
    But it might help Aspyr to provide OpenGL 4 support to Civ5... bringing then tessalation effect as on DirectX 11 version.

Comment

Originally posted by jery View Post
      I've read that Civ BE graphical engine is the same as Civ5, except it is DirectX 11 only. Does it mean we will need OpenGL 4 support under Linux to play ?
      In this case, I suppose I won't be able to play using the OSS radeon driver anymore....
      But it might help Aspyr to provide OpenGL 4 support to Civ5... bringing then tessalation effect as on DirectX 11 version.
      don't panic, radeon will gain support in 3 months. you can play in some other games for now

Comment

In the system requirements it says you can play it with an Iris Pro on linux and AFAIK intels drivers use mesa which, again AFAIK, is capped at opegl 3.3 across GPUs.

Comment

Probably will need some new features i guess, i see so much in steam user reviews about Windows version till now, so it must be broken for us too or at least i expect something like beta quality at first .

BTW, who is that developer which has perfect game at launch day
          Last edited by dungeon; 20 November 2014, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Probably will need some new features i guess, i see so much in steam user reviews about Windows version till now, so it must be broken for us too or at least i expect something like beta quality at first .

BTW, who is that developer which has perfect game at launch day
            Actually the game is not broken on Windows, it actually run better then Civ 5 for me (less time spent on AI turn and better frame rate in late game). It just that people find it is too similar to Civ 5 and like previous civ game, it got less content then the previous iteration with all its expansions.
            Last edited by iniudan; 21 November 2014, 12:18 AM.

Comment

OK, new Civ is comming to Linux, but what about Darksiders and Van Helsing? Their release was "imminent" a few months ago and then nothing...

Comment

Damn it! Now I have to buy one more game...

Comment

How hard can it be? It is basically just a mod for Civ5! Why are they starting over from scratch instead of just importing the new resources?

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                    How hard can it be? It is basically just a mod for Civ5! Why are they starting over from scratch instead of just importing the new resources?
                    Maybe you should contact them and let them know about the deep knowledge you have about porting the DirectX 11 engine of Civ 5 to OpenGL, I am sure they will appreciate your help and maybe even offer you a job. Maybe start with reading their blog about the porting effort and address the problems they describe.

Comment

Working...
                    X