Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's New In-Fighting Over The Future Of Compiz

Phoronix: There's New In-Fighting Over The Future Of Compiz

Unless you're a user of Ubuntu with Unity 7, you probably haven't heard much about Compiz in quite some time. However, some developers are looking to further revive its development but not everyone is in agreement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lol, just another drama filled day in open source development.

If the guy wants to declare himself the maintainer, let him, with his own fork. Let developers decide which project to donate their time too.

Kinda disappointed with people targeting the older 0.8 branch though...... there was many good reasons to port to C++, if my memory serves me right. The project was dieing before that 19 year old guy (what's his name?) came along and ported to C++ and got development going again.

Comment

Northfield repo had last commit in march 2013
      so let him fork, lol, he will fuck around and abandon it

Comment

That guy is clearly trying to create some destruction and division on open source software communities, it is better to just ignore him. Who knows if he is been paid for doing that...

Comment

He, he, compiz xgl>compiz aiglx>beryl>compiz fusion>nomad>abandonware>ubuntu++>matepiz>compiz>!

Who knows probably i am missing some of the forks

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            He, he, compiz xgl>compiz aiglx>beryl>compiz fusion>nomad>abandonware>ubuntu++>matepiz>compiz>!

Who knows probably i am missing some of the forks
            Yep at the very least you missed compiz quinn which turned into compiz fusion (merged in some beryl changes etc iirc)

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Lol, just another drama filled day in open source development.
              Might as well just say "Just another drama filled day in development." There actually seems to be a lot less drama in the media for open source than exists behind closed doors in the proprietary world that I remember. The only difference is whether the rest of the world gets to see it or not.

Many people at the leading edge of any development are passionate about what they are doing, and are not always in agreement on direction or implementation. That tends to lead to some soap opera moments.

Comment

0.8.10 release will be out when it is ready

There is no set release date. Development takes time and KristianL is saying things that are not true and for which he has no proof. I will wait until the release is ready, there is no 'wait a hard two weeks' in place at this time.

Thank You,

Scott Moreau

Comment

One of the biggest problems of open source...

... prima donnas.

Comment

Working...
                  X